Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

New forum about 3D printing

I resin printed one of those '65 Ford Falcons, it's not a nice smooth file at all, it's rough but raceable.

3D scanners...don't expect something decent with a phone app

Life is like a box of Slot cars... Cool Drinkingcheers
[+] 1 member Likes Kevan's post

Two key points from Kevan, firstly just because you paid for a file is no guarantee on the resolution, overall quality, or even if the file has mesh errors leading to print failure. Those of us that regularly download body shell files have come across several ‘file creators’ whose work needs a lot of correction before you print and these are best avoided by those not familiar with mesh editing and repair.

Secondly 3d scanning requires practice and patience to get the best out of any scanning system and fundamentally with 3d scanning there is a price point below which the skill level to get a usable scan rises sharply.

I use a Revopoint Mini scanner which is capable of producing accurate and usable scans if you set up correctly. The model to be scanned needs a matt white finish and be mounted on a turntable (supplied) to rotate the model 360 degrees at a steady speed to get all the features. Sometimes this need two scans at different angles (the scanner is on a tripod adjustable for height and angle) and then use software to weld the two files together.

Last comment, I printed the Falcon 65 with minimal tweaking (I added body posts and a front bib spoiler to hide the chassis rails) and it prints fine as below shown straight off the printer.

Cheers
          John

Mr Fit for Function.
[+] 4 members Like JMay's post

I have several models in 1/18 scale that have never been available in smaller scales.
Any chance these could be scanned and then scaled down to 1/24 and/or 1/32?
I am willing to pay of course...
Model sin question are the 353 and 1.3 Wartburg as well as the Triumph MKIV/1500 Spitfire and MK3 GT6.
I could think of some others...
[+] 1 member Likes dvd3500's post

1/18th scale is pushing the limits on tripod scanning for the Revopoint Mini as it is optimised to scan objects @10-150mm cubed (i.e. 1/32 cars or figures) due to focal distance constraints, so the answer would be no as outside of my current experience and no guarantee of a decent scan.

That being said I had a trawl and found both Triumphs are available as STL/OBJ files on the net on Cults3D and Grabcad for less than a fiver and the Wartburg is available but not cheap on 3DExport.

Cheers
John

Mr Fit for Function.
[+] 1 member Likes JMay's post

The Falcon looks good John, the ugly flat facets that show up on a resin print seem to be smoothed out more on this FDM print.  What layer resolution is that printed at?

(3rd-May-24, 09:30 AM)JMay Wrote:  1/18th scale is pushing the limits on tripod scanning for the Revopoint Mini as it is optimised to scan objects @10-150mm cubed (i.e. 1/32 cars or figures) due to focal distance constraints, so the answer would be no as outside of my current experience and no guarantee of a decent scan.

That being said I had a trawl and found both Triumphs are available as STL/OBJ files on the net on Cults3D and Grabcad for less than a fiver and the Wartburg is available but not cheap on 3DExport.

Cheers
John

Most Spitfire models are of the earlier MKI-MKII type aka "round tail" ...
Assuming I find one though could someone print it for me?
I would ideally want it in 1/25 or 1/24 scale as well as 1/32....
The Spitfire is a small car. A 1/18 scale is is barely over 20 cm long....

Kevan,
            Falcon printed vertically at the usual 0.1mm resolution on the P1P. There is some faceting visible side to side on the roof but this will disappear once the shell is sanded  & prepped for paint. 

As you highlighted not the greatest resolution file (where the finer layer resin printing will show this up) but using FDM printing its OK for club racing where this one is destined. 

Cheers
          John

Mr Fit for Function.
[+] 2 members Like JMay's post

A perfect classic early 60's Monte Carlo Rally car...I will have to revisit this file and FDM print one vertically like you do which made such a good job of the Studebaker I recently printed.

Addictive is a very gentle term.
My Ender3 ran almost continuously for 20 months in 2020 - 2022.

I have a small box of maybe a dozen model kits I was originally going to convert.   

Now I have three boxes of printed bodies, most of which need paint and finishing....easily 3-4 dozen.

Health warning indeed.
[+] 2 members Like chappyman66's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by MrFlippant
13th-Nov-21, 06:12 PM
Last Post by Kevan
10th-Nov-21, 10:37 PM