Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average

News Bury St Edmunds Slot Car Club

September 28th meeting

He said everything was working!

It is, really! Look.

Class 1 Karts complete.

At last, the DS boxes, Race Coordinator, the big monitor AND the sound, all working in harmony!

Class 2 - NASCAR/American Muscle - but hang on. What's that ticking?

The Monitor's internal speakers are unplugged and the ticking stops. Drivers concentrate on the start. Will everything still work?
Yes, we still have sound through the external speakers. Thumbup  
Must have been sort sort of conflict as the sound is actually BETTER without the monitor's speakers too.  Yes 

Class 3 - Club GT's, provided some sensationally close finishes.
In the 2 car shot the Jagermeister Capri takes the place by a short nose.
In the 3 car shot, the Beemer's tailout slide just blocked a last second pass by the Jagermeister car this time. They really were that close.

They think it's all over .... well it is now - and the puzzled/amused looks? Apart from the odd ticking noise, a great nights racing, free of technical gremlins at last. Thumbup

NEXT MEETING: October 20th (5pm to whenever.) 
(CONTACT DETAILS, MEETING TIMES AND ADDRESS IN THE FIRST POST)
[+] 1 member Likes Top Down's post

Racing this Sunday - Oct 20th. 5 - 10:30pm.

1) Owner/driver Lighted cars

2) Club Scalextric sidecar combo's

3) Owner/driver Saloon/DTM cars

Location in first post. See you there?

October 20th meeting 

45 minutes after arriving we've gone from a bare room to this. Almost ready to start.

In fact there was even time to browse through a small library of old slot car magazines.

No time to waste though, as Bill sets us up for the first heat.

A broad spectrum of cars entered the 'Lighted' class. The sixth car, still to turn up, was a GT40. 

And they're ready for the off.

The end of a later heat and 'Lighted' really was a broad brush, with a Chaparral in the foreground.

Four minute heats for the Lighted cars were reduced to two minutes thirty for the Sidecar combo's. 

Different bikes had different cornering attitudes, one cornering flat and fast everywhere, one being unpredictable and the other two lifting a wheel or bobbing a curtsey depending on where they were on the track. Great fun!

They provided some very close racing too!

Couldn't let this one slip by. My only win in twenty-four heats, thanks to the Gulf bike. Somehow the pic' of me coming last in the very last heat of the night got deleted by mistake! (Come to that, I think it was my only win in six meetings, or 144 heats. Still, I'm improving  Thumbup )

... and there is that glorious Gulf machine.

Another broad brush, 'Saloons'. DTM, NASCAR, BTCC, historic circuit racers, they were all in there. Shedden's BTCC Honda proved the one to beat.

Eyes right! Loved this shot. What are they all looking at? Certainly not the sixth car, as it's in David's hand, nor the start line, which is right in front of them.

At the end of the heat all six cars are still in shot, with the Shedden Honda first and the Alfa, nearest the camera, second judging by the screen. 

... and now we see 'George (Shaun) Shedden' scooping up the winner of the heat.

NEXT MEETING: November 9th (5pm to whenever.) 
[+] 4 members Like Top Down's post

Classes for Nov 9th:

1 - Club Rally cars
2 - Owner/driver Rally cars
3 - Club Gp5 Racer Sideways

All classes are magless and are run 'segmented'. I.E. all scores count and are totalled to give the overall winner.
[Image: post-17292-0-59708100-1572973338.jpg]

Body style is the headline but each class is better defined by the chassis config. and motor rpms.

Rally - MSC 4wd Metros seem to do well but all sorts turn up on the grid. (N.B. Max. revs 21k now)

Saloon - a bit of a blurred line with BTCC, NASCAR, Rally and others all taking to the track.

Sports/GT/Le Mans/Gp5 is their 'anything goes' modified class. Racer Sideways and Scaleauto do well - but again, all sorts get run. 

NASCAR tends to be NASCAR/American Muscle.

Club 'cars' stay on the lane and drivers rotate until they've driven all lanes.

November 9th meeting 

Classes: 

1 - Club Rally cars
2 - Owner/driver Rally cars
3 - Club Gp5 Racer Sideways

Classes were run on 'The Big Track'.

All six lanes were in use for the 'owner/driver' rally cars, with a good range of body styles from a variety of slot car manufacturers making an appearance.

The field was well spread  out!

My favourite! Just had to get one for myself, having seen David's MSC Metro.

Bill at Race Control, as usual.

Metro v Fiesta

Mark (nearest) keeping an eye on the countdown, ready to dash over and hit the kill switch at the end of another heat.

Nice Subaru - but VERY low for a Rally car!

Thanks go to Rob - marshalling way off in the distance - for all the great car photos on the night.

Photos' of the track are from the 'club archive'.

NEXT MEETING: Digital December, Sunday 22nd (5pm to whenever.) 
ALL equipment provided inc. cars and controllers.
[+] 3 members Like Top Down's post

December 22nd saw a change of pace and format for the B St E club - a Digital Dash!

The track.

The cars.

The grid.

The off!

It took a while to get the hang of it. Mark leads. Vic's just run out of fuel. David has fuel in hand but is well off the pace - and Gordon was way too quick, running out quite a while back!

Still, there was some close racing!

Mark J won each of his heats to take the overall win Checkeredflag - but it looks like they all enjoyed it!  Thumbup

(Thanks to Mark R for the photos this time.)
[+] 2 members Like Top Down's post

NEXT MEETING: January 4th (5pm to whenever.) 
Not wasting any time the B St E club kick off the New Year with:

The Club Car Clash!

Fitting in as many different IROC Club Car Classes as they can on the night. There'll be individual class winners but the aim is to find the 'all-round' driver, the Overall Winner.  

Below is just a small selection that might be making an appearance. There are also Rally cars, Porsche GT's and many others.

All welcome. First visit free.

Looking forward to coming over for the first time on Saturday. I have GT cars, rally and some sports cars. Apart from the cars what else should I bring??

Thanks Max

On this occasion everything's provided. 

However, bring your cars but most of all a good sense of fun and you'll enjoy it  Thumbup

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Savage GT
22nd-Feb-24, 06:40 AM
Last Post by Graham
8th-Jan-24, 07:14 PM
Last Post by beardy56
29th-Dec-23, 12:11 AM
Last Post by Gpa113
7th-Aug-23, 07:27 PM
Last Post by dvd3500
10th-Jul-23, 10:15 AM