Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Paint Issues on plastic - Suggestions?

Concurrently with building the track I am trying to do a few cars

Painted up 2 x 1/24th Ferrari 275 P2 bodies. One is Atlas and one is a mint unused Tamiya car I bought recently.

Tamiya top Atlas bottom.
Primered with Acrylic primer and used same brand red.  I decided to do the Blue/Red British entry for Le Mans and taped it up using Tamiya tape and normal white plastic tape.
As I have before with no issues.

This happened when removing the tape: All paint peeled back to body base.

I did this about 48 hours after red paint, and about 1 hour after blue paint - as I normally do. - This has never happened before.

I have now stripped it back, sanded body for grip and re primered. But I want same colour scheme but and scared to do same process again.
Should I change tape? Wait longer after red paint?  It has been primers now for about a week.

The primer did not bond to the body 

Did u wipe down the body with a 1200 grinding paper after cleaning the body before using the primer?

To cover big areas for painting I always use aluminium foil (used in the kitchen), to avoid a big usage of costly masking tape. Tape the foil to the body on one side, wrap the foil around the areas to be covered. 

Keep asking if questions are still up.

Nico

Donne e motori, gioie e dolori - Frauen und Autos, Freuden und Leiden
[+] 2 members Like Nico's post

Nico sounds like a great idea - will use it!!

I agree on the bonding and no I did not sand it - last time I make that mistake  ;)
[+] 1 member Likes Anthony B's post

I wouldn't paint the stripe directly on the body.
I would spray a bit of clear decal, cut it to size/shape and use that, far less risk of damage to the painted body.
When spraying decal sheet, do not wait overnight to use it (it will dry stiff as a board) use it within 4 to 5 hours (less if you are brave).

Joel
[+] 1 member Likes merkit the grof's post

Great advice - thanks Joel!!

Joel thank you so much - this was a wonderful suggestion and sharing of great knowledge.  Worked a treat.

Will put up pics when it is tidied up and fully dry Thumbup Thumbup
[+] 1 member Likes Anthony B's post

After Joels brilliant idea, I have finished off this car - looks quite good Cool Rofl 

[+] 4 members Like Anthony B's post

(21st-Aug-21, 06:26 AM)merkit the grof Wrote:  I wouldn't paint the stripe directly on the body.
I would spray a bit of clear decal, cut it to size/shape and use that, far less risk of damage to the painted body.
When spraying decal sheet, do not wait overnight to use it (it will dry stiff as a board) use it within 4 to 5 hours (less if you are brave).

Joel

That is a seriously good idea.

Baz