Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Rising postal costs

Rising postal costs has been my biggest bugbear the past few years.

I have recently seen and been charged $13.50 Insurance per $100 value from a business when the postal service (Australia Post actually charges $2 per $100 value, so not only am I paying a premium for the items, I am paying a premium on Insurance and then another premium on Postage.

Businesses wonder why we shop online, the main reason is we are sick and tired of being ripped off, having our money stolen in ways as above.

Not only do I have the premium charges above but Australia Post also adds one to two days onto the delivery schedule by holding parcels back to ship more and more items at once rather than daily when posted.

grr..

Australian Slot Car Group (ASCG)
[url=https://www.facebook.com/groups/australianslotcars]Australian Slot Car Group (ASCG) - all things Slot Cars[/url]

NSW Slot Car Group (NSWSCG)
[url=https://www.facebook.com/groups/nswslotcargroup]NSW Slot Car Group (NSWSCG)[/url]

Brexit has happened.....

Impact - postage from Europe to UK has now DOUBLED. from 16.40 euros to 32.80.

How many sales will be lost because of this. For me trawling ebay and shops will be confined to Europe and I know if I sell anything - the same will apply to UK buyers...

What a mess........

This kind of nonsense will insure that there will be a place for retail businesses as soon as Covid is under control. Then things reverse and fewer people buy online. Shipping companies will probably experience major lay-offs. The pendulum swings.

Chuck Norris can pop a wheelie on a unicycle!

(8th-Jan-21, 09:52 AM)Anthony B Wrote:  rexit has happened.....

Impact - postage from Europe to UK has now DOUBLED. from 16.40 euros to 32.80.

How many sales will be lost because of this. For me trawling ebay and shops will be confined to Europe and I know if I sell anything - the same will apply to UK buyers...

What a mess........

Postage from UK to Europe is considerably cheaper (1kg small parcel tracked/signed is £14.10 and economy is £9.50) so must be your mail provider who is ripping you off.

Today I sent a 0.4Kg box to Austria and that cost 8.50 British pounds and 0.2Kg box to Germany for 7.50 British pounds.
(Royal Mail Parcels)
Seems about normal to me.

Leo

Forum Precepts:  Don't hijack or divert topics - create a new one.   Don't feed the Troll.    http://www.scuderiaturini.com

Shipping from the Netherlands (up to 2 kilo) to the UK increased 25%, it used to be 9 euro and is now 12 :(

I am still struggling to understand what the impact of the "free trade" agreement with the UK is.

Most of the information on the German customs page is from last year so likely not 100% correct.

From what I can tell although while you pay no tariffs (i.e. customs tax) you have to pay your local VAT (which is 19% in Germany, 1% less than the UK) BUT you have to pay a customs fee which I can't seem to figure out if it is 2.5% or higher or lower.

The cost of shipping to and from the UK has also risen stupidly. I am interested in some magazines but shipping is stated at around 12GBP?! For a 2 GBP magazine?!
I had anyway for a long time been contacting sellers directly as ePay is getting stupidly expensive...

I saw a video where someone claimed that Royal Mail will charge 8 GBP for each package from the EU, regardless of value....

At this point I am just waiting for the dust to settle and and working on building a network to minimize the impact...

I was interested in a slot car item from Germany but they wanted to add 20% UK vat to the price, which already included the 19% German rate AND wanted to double the eBay quoted postage!

I decided I could manage without.

Looks like slot.it have closed down their eBay shop to deliveries to the UK.

I love puttering with gears

Less than two weeks in... and - not surprisingly - the dust has not settled. However, the Royal Mail has this info: www.royalmail.com/brexit

And here is a direct link to a pdf brochure of Royal Mail prices as of 1 January 2021: www.royalmail.com/sites/royalmail.com/files/2020-11/royal-mail-our-prices-1-january-2021.pdf

I see that some retailers are currently using couriers such as UPS, DPD and FedEx for European orders - which streamlines things for them, but will raise prices for the short-term, at least.

Some retailers (MRE and Pendles for example) have always offered a 'Zero VAT' price. Others do not. If you don't want to pay VAT twice, it's your choice.

The long and short is we are where we are - it's a case of retailers and customers adjusting to the changes. I think we can guarantee that eBay might be a bit pricey for a while - they rarely turn down an opportunity.

Most UK and EU slot car retailers deal regularly with customers in 'the rest of the world'. Many of us EU and former-EU customers have bought from the USA, Canada Australia etc in the past, so we know the parameters we are working with.

It probably won't be straightforward - especially with customs charges to and from the EU that now "may" be payable...

I very rarely get hit for VAT and/or customs charges on purchases from Australia, New Zealand, Canada, China, Japan or Latin America - whatever the value of the purchase or gift. I almost always get clobbered with parcels from the USA, even if they are just a cent above the threshold. When I lived in France, all parcels from the USA (including a couple of $300+ value) got through with no extra charge - as they did from Australia and Canada. EU regulations have always been - and always will be - interpreted differently by different EU countries.

Let's see what Royal Mail and UK Customs do in practice. And let's see how different retailers adjust - some will do a better job for EU customers than others, I'm sure. I'll be interested to hear any personal experiences - rather than just speculation.
[+] 1 member Likes woodcote's post