Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Sport World C8310 CD wanted

Lane 2 failure was one of the most common faults with the system with many units being returned for replacement. I know nothing about electronics but would have thought it should be repairable by someone who does, it is not as complicated as digital and several people repair those systems.

Sorry, I have not had much time at the moment to get involved in the conversation here.
The lane 2 problem might be solvable using the multi-lane extension unit as a source of parts.
I just bought a unit so should be able to play with it next week.

Leo

Forum Precepts:  Don't hijack or divert topics - create a new one.   Don't feed the Troll.    http://www.scuderiaturini.com

Leo

I just this afternoon bought another Sport World box of tricks, I hope that works, if not that will be a donor source.

My suspicions are around the output from the drive circuit for slot 2 there maybe something wrong there, we will see.

I did realise that you are a Lancia fan, I have had 4 Lancia cars (3 x Thema and 1 x Delta Integrale) I loved those cars, for sometime now though I have been driving Saab cars.

Baz

Hello Baz, One of my Lancia friends in Edinburgh has gone down that same slippery slope although still has an S3 Thema Turbo Heart .
I have been through many Lancias, including an 8V integrale that I told myself that if its stiff suspension didn't put me off Lancias nothing would. Needless to say that I remained very faithful and my daily-driver has Chrysler badges.

Leo

Forum Precepts:  Don't hijack or divert topics - create a new one.   Don't feed the Troll.    http://www.scuderiaturini.com

Leo

My Thema's were all series 1 and Integrale was also 1988.

Of course Thema's shared a lot of panels with the SAAB 9000. I attach a photo of the demise of one of my SAABS, I had actually stopped and got rammed so hard that I was pushed underneth the car in front !!

Back to Sport World, my son has removed the MOSFETS from the lane 2 control, any luck by the end of the week I will be able to try it again.

Baz

My unit arrived yesterday - first impression was that it is big!  The box was wrapped in brown paper and I looked at it and wondered if the wrong parcel had been delivered or perhaps the seller had used an oversize box. The unit is about twice the size I expected it to be.  No CD was included, but that's no problem when you know Brian CMOTD Thumbup.

Did a quick check (ignored the Quick Start Up guide) and did manage to get it to start timing and both lanes worked and triggered times.  I then plugged it in to my Windows 10 PC and got a beep acknowledging the USB connection but the software didn't find it. The installation notes stress to not start the software without having the unit plugged in so I abandoned and plugged in to my Windows XP computer. USB was detected then the software driver was downloaded automatically and the software connected to the "Command Unit". The software is very old-fashioned with the context tool-tips at the bottom of the screen rather than at each button. I was able to do some stuff and start a race, successfully triggering times on both lanes. I was able to rename Driver 1 to "Leo" and select different tracks.  The driver-eyes view feature is pretty basic but works quite well but pretty basic in comparison to more modern "Sim" systems.
I could not find how to set up a pace car in the software but did find the instructions of how to do it on the Command Unit. Hopefully will get some time to set up a layout at the weekend and play some more. I noticed menu options to disable each slot - am wondering if  that had caught out users.
Already, I can see why Sport World didn't really get popular - the user interfaces (PC and Command Unit) are pretty challenging so would put off non-techy types.

Leo

Leo

I had an Ebay £15.00 Sport World delivered yesterday, lane 2 was duff, it just runs flat out and if I change the direction of travel it is dead.

I really suspect the MOSFETS again, I have given it to my son who is going to swap out MOSFETS on the first Sport World tower on Monday.

There are two MOSFETS for each slot, I dont know much about electronics but suspect that the two MOSFETS are something to do with travel direction changes.

I have found that it is worthwhile to clean the controller tracks, I used a cotton bud and some panel wipe but I guess lighter fluid would be OK as well, if the control tower does not get a clear indication that the throttle is off then it does not apply the dynamic brake very well (if at all).

I also could not see how to get the Pacer working from the PC link so I set it up using the tower in stand alone mode. As you probably know the Pacer will record your inputs for the best lap out of race (I just raced by myself to get this data) and then when you flip the Pacer to playback it will just race that best lap for as many laps as you have set the race for.

I would say that after you have recorded your Pacer lap, to give the tyres a good clean up as this will just give it a little reserve of grip when in Pacer mode.

I have run up to 50 laps of the Pacer with no crashes.

Good luck.

Baz

Hello Baz,
I set up a small test track earlier and tried a few things from the PC. Race formats and setting power on/off options worked ok.  The race formats all make sense but the user interface leaves me cold. I would like to see a clear count of laps completed or a countdown to finish but something odd happens after a few laps and the (tiny) lap count is removed.

With a 10 lap GP race set up it starts well:

With one lap completed in Lane 1:  

With 3 laps completed in Lane 1 and 1 lap in Lane2:

With 4 laps in Lane1 and 3 laps in Lane2:

With 4 laps in Lane1 and 4 laps in Lane2:

That is how it stays until one car has completed 10 laps:

The finish screen shows how many laps the 2nd car completed.

Have to say that I am losing interest rapidly, having been using Race Coordinator for several years.

Leo

[+] 1 member Likes Scuderia_Turini's post

Leo

My son soldered in the MOSFETS and hey presto slot 2 is running again, it actually seems like the dynamic breaking is stronger on slot 2, I changed controllers and it still seemed to have more brake on slot 2.

I could not beat the Pacer tonight as it just keeps turning in the best lap !!

Race series tomorrow.

Baz

(7th-Jun-21, 10:56 PM)Bazzer Wrote:  Leo

My son soldered in the MOSFETS and hey presto slot 2 is running again, it actually seems like the dynamic breaking is stronger on slot 2, I changed controllers and it still seemed to have more brake on slot 2.

I could not beat the Pacer tonight as it just keeps turning in the best lap !!

Race series tomorrow.

Baz

Hello Baz,  Are you running standard Scalextric cars?
Good news on the Mosfet front - have not had a look under the bonnet yet, presumably a fairly old-fashioned type circuit board.

Ha, ha, the unit is learning  from you!  Presumably the pacer will still perform at the last recorded lap time if you turn off the recording function ?

Leo

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post