Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

'Friston Forest' Rally Track

Getting close now... 

This is just a loose lay as unfortunately, some of the single track pieces have the tabs on the wrong end for this exact layout to work.

However, it's just the inner pieces bottom middle of picture that I need to make work and if I can get those sorted, I might settle on this layout for starters.

I love puttering with gears
[+] 2 members Like BARacer's post

I think this is v1.0...

I've think I have filled the board with enough track to make keep it interesting for me in the long term...hopefully a good balance between fast straights and slow twisty sections. Lap time is around 12 seconds. But now the hard work really starts: -

• I need to replace some of the single track pieces from the stock of 65 litres of Classic track I have managed to acquire over the Summer.
  • I need to clean all the rails and improve the electrical connections between pieces. Probably back that up with some powertaps.
  • I need to fit some hardboard pieces around the perimeter of the base as a prelude to starting to think about elevation changes.
  • I would really like to install some timing equipment and associated software. Any advice welcome!

But for now, it's great to have a track available to run cars round at the flick of a switch!

[+] 8 members Like BARacer's post

Looks like a great tight and twisty rally track, and a 12 second lap time is a good long lap for a small track, and should keep it interesting.

But, (you knew there was going to be a but, right?) for me, I like a section on a track where I have some chance of going fast, even it's just for a second.

So personally, I'd be tempted to make the outside corner on the left a banked R3 (sport, not classic as classic is too banked to get modern cars around), and the track leading up to it and off it, straights. This could give you maybe four straights, then a really fast corner, followed by four straights, which could provide some variation to the tight and twisty bits.

That's just my opinion though, the most important thing is to test out your track thoroughly to make sure you're happy with it, before you start adding scenery or anything that might make it difficult to change the layout.

Good luck, and enjoy. Thumbup
[+] 2 members Like JasonB's post

Hi Jason

Are you talking about the corner in the far distance? I don't quite see how that works with "four straights".

Thinking about 'my motivation' for the layout, I think I have been deliberately avoiding having too many straights...ultimately, I would like to de-grip the twisty sections as well, perhaps with paint, in order to try and replicate a muddy Yorkshire forest stage. So 'slow moving oversteering cars beautifully balanced by my trigger finger' type of racing...ha ha!

[+] 2 members Like BARacer's post

tbh , i like it just as is 
especially if you introduced slippery areas 

could be a great host track for any rally type proxies ( hint hint )  Thumbup

what do you plan to use for timing ?
some of the phone apps work great 
used one myself at ' Pendle Crossing ' rally stage during this yrs 'great road race ' proxy after my SCX rally ramp gave up the ghost 

Kev
[+] 1 member Likes OXO cube's post

(10th-Nov-21, 08:50 AM)BARacer Wrote:  Hi Jason

Are you talking about the corner in the far distance? I don't quite see how that works with "four straights".

Thinking about 'my motivation' for the layout, I think I have been deliberately avoiding having too many straights...ultimately, I would like to de-grip the twisty sections as well, perhaps with paint, in order to try and replicate a muddy Yorkshire forest stage. So 'slow moving oversteering cars beautifully balanced by my trigger finger' type of racing...ha ha!

Fair enough.

I used a muddy water mix on my track to replicate my Yorkshire forest stage, which I liked the look of. It certainly reduced the grip, but I couldn't say how it would fare in the long term as I haven't had chance to race much recently.

http://www.phantomdrum.co.uk/scalexracer...ering.html

[+] 3 members Like JasonB's post

Jason

Thanks for the weathering link, and the picture of how you incorporated a change in level between adjacent tracks will be a useful reference

[+] 1 member Likes BARacer's post

Version 1.1

The previous version has a short straight (where the car is in this photo) which jarred with the general flow. So out with the straight, in with more curves!

And rummaging through my boxes of track pieces, I came across my first piece of scenery...not many straights left to install it on though.

[+] 1 member Likes BARacer's post

(9th-Nov-21, 07:25 PM)BARacer Wrote:  
  • I would really like to install some timing equipment and associated software. Any advice welcome!

As OXO cube said, a phone app is an easy solution - I'd recommend LapTracker-AutoTimer for iOS and LapTrax for Android. Both need careful setting up and will be susceptible to shadows triggering a rogue lap - so placement is important. If I have shadow issues, using the phone's torch to illuminate the track does help.

However, I use the robustness and versatility of a deadstrip, Arduino Uno clone and Race Coordinator on my hillclimb and rally stages (see walk-through tutorial here: https://slotracer.online/community/showt...p?tid=2061). It's not exactly ready at the flick of a switch, but it can be up and running in a couple of minutes. You'll need a PC or laptop running Windows 7 or higher - and a spare USB port to connect the Arduino.

A few drop-outs I experienced ended up being caused by using the short USB cable bundled with the Arduino, plus an extension lead. Since I replaced both with a £2.50 USB A to B data/printer cable, those bugs have disappeared.

I'm happy to help you get something similar sorted out for Friston Forest, if that's what you fancy.
[+] 1 member Likes woodcote's post

Acquired some more SCX 'snow' and 'ice' track pieces. 

Little did I know that 'snow' pieces are not low grip like the 'ice' ones, they are just standard tarmac painted white! However, I have incorporated the new 'ice' pieces into the layout, and am considering converting the 'snow' pieces into single track pieces and using substituting them into the twisty centre section.

Not quite as twisty as the previous layout, but still around 12 second laps using my mule. 

Still on the lookout for SCX low grip 'ICE' pieces if anyone has any gathering dust...

[+] 5 members Like BARacer's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by rallyhub
25th-Mar-24, 12:17 PM
Last Post by niklasw
10th-Mar-24, 10:03 PM
Last Post by Kevan
14th-Jan-24, 09:48 PM
Last Post by DPJ
11th-Jan-24, 05:53 AM