Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Car insurance

Just completed the annual game of renewing my car insurance, it drives me mad every year.
I have been with Aviva for 2 years with acceptable prices so they figured I was a loyal customer and it was now time to rip me off. I used to insure the house with them and they did the same thing so they lost that one last year - never learn do they?

Did the usual research and General Accident came out best - £40 cheaper with better cover and zero excess so went with them. I then discovered that they are owned by Aviva!  Rofl

Repeat the Money Saving Expert mantra:
"Business is not your friend. Loyalty doesn't pay."
[+] 2 members Like CMOTD's post

Last  year    I  insured  with  Saga and  it  cost   me  £35 for  the  year 8 months  later  they  discovered  their  mistake   and  contacted me  saying   that  next  year   my  policy  would   increase   by  a  large  amount , but  they  would  honour   the  policy   until  renewal . I  wish  now  I  had  opted  for  the  3 yr plan they  were  offering  still  I  cant  complain at £35  for  a  year I  expect it  will  be  around  the  200 -240 mark   when I  renew ,any more  and  I'll be  moving  .

I was tempted by another car and noticed that it was in insurance Group 33. That meant nothing to me so I checked my current car to find it is in Group 16 (costing just over £200 per annum).  I did an on-line qotet for the group 33 car and got quoted £1500. Have decided that Group 20 would be sensible. although Yaris start at Group 2 and I am approaching the Yaris buyer age (at the upper end).

Leo

Forum Precepts:  Don't hijack or divert topics - create a new one.   Don't feed the Troll.    http://www.scuderiaturini.com

Once you find a better quote, it can pay to contact your current insurer and see if they can beat it.
It often appears to me they pluck figures at random, and some companies that are cheaper for one car are not for your next.
My last renewal quote was beaten by the same company I was already with on a comparison site by around £45, where they were the cheapest.
Needless to say a phone call got me the better price  Bigsmile

When  asked "3rd party or fully comp"?
Always ask for both numbers.
Sometimes  fully-comp is cheaper.
I've no idea why that would be. 

Alan W

(9th-Apr-21, 05:54 AM)Savage GT Wrote:  Once you find a better quote, it can pay to contact your current insurer and see if they can beat it.
It often appears to me they pluck figures at random, and some companies that are cheaper for one car are not for your next.
My last renewal quote was beaten by the same company I was already with on a comparison site by around £45, where they were the cheapest.
Needless to say a phone call got me the better price  Bigsmile

I often do this, particularly for broadband/phone but I haven't a lot of time for existing insurers who try to take advantage of you because
you have renewed a couple of times. Did try to ring Aviva in this instance but couldn't be bothered to wait in a 2 hour queue listening to garbage about doing things online. Sent them an email instead which failed to elicit a reply!

If you telephone a sales number they always pick-up quickly but on customer-service numbers you have to wait !! 
The simple solution is to cancel every year and change provider.

Forum Precepts:  Don't hijack or divert topics - create a new one.   Don't feed the Troll.    http://www.scuderiaturini.com
[+] 1 member Likes Scuderia_Turini's post

My insurance company increased my premium massively for no reason so I found a much cheaper alternative online.
A week or so before my old policy was due to expire I got a phone call asking me why I hadn't renewed. I explained that the quotye was too expensive so they offered to sort me out a better price. The woman sounded gutted when I said I had already taken out insurance with another provider.