Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Suspension basics

Hey, I didn't build the car, all I did was buy it!

Sun

I love puttering with gears
[+] 1 member Likes BARacer's post

Observation on the SRC 205, for discussion purposes only!

I have not run the car yet, but having opened it up the sniff around, I thought I would offer the following observation on the architecture of this successful slot car...

Being an inline motor, under acceleration, the pinion will push down on the crown gear, effectively locking out the suspension to the rear axle. And on braking, the pinion will be pushing up on the crown gear, effectively softening the suspension at the rear.

And I am trying to work out if the 4x4 rubber band will transfer the same effect to the front axle in those two conditions, but I am not confident in making any guess public on that!

But I think it might.

But I could be wrong.

This thread has started me thinking on suspension options that have never  been produced for slot cars.
(Unless someone knows better) 

Fly front-motor cars ( solid rear axle with the spring propshaft) seem like a good first candidate for a suspension design that gets the motor weight out of the unsprung weight calculation. 

If the spring based prop shaft works, a UJ based prop shaft would be an improvement.

If that arrangement works, it could be further improved by using a floating motor mount.

Combining all of this into a design that supports long can motors mounted further back in the car would indeed be challenging.

Food for thought ?

AlanW
[+] 1 member Likes Nonfractal's post

Ok then, how about...

Un-sprung chassis incorporating front wheels, axle and motor mounted mid-ships. This part of the car would have the most mass, and would provide the main resistance to the other sprung parts.

Sprung rear sub-frame (wheels, axle and pinion/crown gear assembly)

Sprung guide

'Floating' body

Not too difficult for a 3D printer guru!

And as a caveat to the above, my blinkered thinking was based on trying to translate real car suspension systems into a slot car. There is also probably more benefit in starting rethinking slot car suspension from the guide upwards!

This thread got somewhat derailed entering into rally and full floating axles

To bring us back on track, I noticed the link to the nsr tuning guide no longer works
So here is a new link:

https://www.nsrslot.it/assets/download/d...guide.html

Here's one mount and spring combination I've seen and used:

"Springboard"
Typically used on slot.it style 6 point mounts
The front 2 screws are locked solid and tight.
The  middle outriggers are left loose with the cheese heads sitting nicely in the chassis holes but use no springs.
The middle outriggers effectively act as bottom-out stops. 
The rear mounts are unused. No screws are used. 

The benefit of "springboard" is that you can get suspension effect without springs or magnetic units.
Springboard totally locks down the motor mount's roll. 
Screwing the fronts tight gives an anti-rollbar type effect.
If the left rear lifts, the right rear lifts with it. 

I (and others) use Springboard setup on SideWays GroupFive cars on ninco track at NascotWood where suspension springs are  not permitted in this class.
Nascot wood prohibits all magnetics probably because there is always the possibility of creating a mag suspension that would generate downforce and the club is strictly NoMag.

Springboard only works with  mounts that have 2 front screws, not with triangular mounts like NSR or thunderslot.
I have broken many motor mounts using this technique. 
The front screw holes in the pod are under a lot of stress using this technique. 
Getting the right size cheeseheads for the mid outrigger  mounts is very important.

Springboard only really work for lower power motors because the setup provides no absorption of the kick from a high power motor that causes start line deslot.

In summary: 
"SPRINGBOARD" is a useful technique when the rules don't allow suspension but is nowhere near as good as fitting a car out with springs.

I've come to call some of my other mount techniques "seesaw" "full float" and "rocker float"

What techniques do you use? 
Do you have pet names for them?  Talking

AlanW
[+] 1 member Likes Nonfractal's post

I've got the responsibility of building our team's DiSCA Le Mans LMP2 car and am planning sprung suspension. I have a few track days available before April so will be trying out some options to see if it is a benefit.

Tamar Nelwan has some very in depth Info on prepping  cars for DiSCA 
Search , find, read,  digest. 
There is no better source.
Alan

I didnt read page one but down here in NZ suspension is popular however a simpler, cheaper and very basic option in the past was to use various types of tape across the loose pod and chassis to add a little give and take.
[+] 1 member Likes munter's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by BARacer
1st-Feb-20, 10:41 AM