Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Basic Tyre Truer for Scalextric, Carrera, Fly etc

WHile I agree that Hudy's are expensive I have had mine for 18 years and other than replacing the drum twice and occasionally the belt - never had a problem. So for me amortising the cost over so many years  and considering exactly how many tyres I have done in that time it is effectively cheap.

I would say this - if you are a magnet racer = dont bother buying one or a weekend floor type racer then also do not buy one (Hudy type I mean ).

I have a home made power source (from a computer transformer) and on the top of it I Have done a similar setup to what Andy has built. Often use that to just finish off what I have done on the hudy.

I think that flat tyre are one of the most important items of tuning that anyone can do ;)

Edit: read this 3 days later and my typing is terrible -sheeesh had to fix so much :)
[+] 2 members Like Anthony B's post

I've had my Hudy for 20+ years now and just recently got a new one. Yes this did pay off very well. Added a diamant drum this time, will pay off as well.
And yes, that's not for "carpet racers" or magnet racers.

Nico

Donne e motori, gioie e dolori - Frauen und Autos, Freuden und Leiden

Thanks chaps… but unless I am missing something, it’s not that a Hudy is expensive… isn’t it simply the wrong tool for enthusiasts who favour brands like Scalextric, Carrera, Fly etc that have plastic wheels?

Ultimately, the best tool is the correct tool for the job. 

For those requiring truing on the axle, the Proses tool at Pendles was reduced - it’s a great out-of-the-box alternative to the DIY version. It’s now sold out, so looks like there’ll be plenty more nice and true tyres on slot cars in a few days time.
[+] 5 members Like woodcote's post

And if you watch this week's worldwide chat episode there were some tips on there about how to enhance your Prosper experience and add a bit more precision to the process.

I love puttering with gears
[+] 1 member Likes BARacer's post

The Proses tyre truer & cleaner is now back in stock at Pendles - still at the reduced price of £39.95: https://www.pendleslotracing.co.uk/prose...-1-32.html

For 'wheels on axles' tyre truing the Tire Razor is the most popular.  There's a couple of similar alternatives, one of which is the RSM truer which I have.

There's also a free to download and print motorised base to move the slider plate back & forth.

I used the original Tire Razor files but ended up redesigning the whole thing, the only part I kept as-is was the little motor arm.

Since this video I've added retainer/rollers to take the sideways slop out of the slider and made the magnetic hitch plate thicker and put one each end so the wet & dry paper can get two clean runs.

Life is like a box of Slot cars... Cool Drinkingcheers

Nice tool - except the neither the old RSM3.1 or new RSM4 are available... and would be 165 Euros + shipping if they were. Also, they do need fettling to do the job they are advertised to do.

I sincerely appreciate that there are some fabulous tyre truers out there... However, in this thread, I'm just trying to look an entry-level option that gives beginners and not-so-serious racers some massive performance improvements for a modest outlay. I don't want people to thing they have to spend £150-200 before they can have trued tyres.

My choice would be the DIY set-up I built with stuff lying around. But the Proses unit is good value for £40, if people want something out of the box.

We have a cheap-as-chips 'scuffer' at the club, a Scaley straight section with sandpaper glued either side of the slot and a 12v transformer with wires soldered to the rails...does the job of sorts and gets used often.

A unit like the Proses is better than nothing at all, but I'd like to make sure potential buyers are aware of the following:

1 - It's risky to use a machine like this for digital cars. If you are not VERY careful to never apply too much resistance to the tires during the process, you may cause the motor to draw too much power, and actually damage the digital chip. If you decide to use this machine for a digital car, it would be best to temporarily disconnect/remove/bypass the chip so that the car is functionally an analog car. For DPR cars from Scalextric, you can swap the chip for the analog plate. For a Carrera digital car, you can open it up and disconnect the wires that go from the braids to the chip and from the chip to the motor, and connect them directly together, completely bypassing the chip. At least this way, you won't damage the chip... you may only damage the motor...

2 - you're not actually truing the wheels/tires with this, you're making a smoother egg... unless you have the steady hands of a brain surgeon and the patience of a saint. This is because there is little to no control of the height of the wheels/tires off the sanding surface other than by your own hand. To properly true a set of tires, they must be held at a set distance from the sanding surface, in an immovable way, and with fine control over that distance so that it can be reduced in fine increments as you take off the high spots. Without that level of control and stability, you're really just scuffing things up, not truing them, which is not the same thing.

3 - ideally, a "mule" chassis or two should be used, so that you are not reducing the life of the motor in the car you actually want to race by running them at a constant high speed with a high amount of resistance created by the tires going against the sanding surface. While this should be kept to a minimum to do a good job, anyway, it's still an undue amount of wear and tear on the slot car motor and gears.

Now, all that said, I know guys who can use a tool like this to get great results. I just want people to know the difference between a machine like that, and one that is dedicated to the purpose of making the tires actually true, which is to say that they are perfectly round and concentric to the axle. And sometimes, for a lot of us, a nicely scuffed up, mostly round and smooth tire is good enough for the fun of running the car around and having a few races. Those in competitive clubs will probably want something different, and hopefully an Area3/Tire Razor/RSM type machine hits the market again soon.
[+] 1 member Likes MrFlippant's post

I agree, you're not 'truing' them to a fixed point so they're not going to be true as such but they'll be 99% better  Thumbup

[+] 1 member Likes Kevan's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Kevan
17th-Jan-24, 07:57 AM
Last Post by Kevan
13th-Feb-22, 06:27 PM
Last Post by BARacer
3rd-Jan-22, 05:02 PM
Last Post by Savage GT
9th-Sep-21, 07:37 AM