Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Slot.it High Current Analogue Cartridge

Yep! 
Again and again this thing shows itself to be ugly as sin. 
However, the only issue I've ever had was one of the wires breaking loose from the board in the cartridge. 
Easily fixed by some soldering. 
So on balance, I like the cars to be brutally beautiful but the controller to 100% functional.
There is no concors d elegance trophy for controllers  Bigsmile

Alan
[+] 2 members Like Nonfractal's post

So...

I wired up the controller to a piece of track following the diagram supplied with the metal cartridge. I checked it three times.

I switched the power supply on. 

The green light on the controller came on.

And then things get a bit muddled...I am not sure which exact order the following things happened, but it was all within about a second.

I pulled the trigger
I put a Scalextric car on the track
The green light on the controller went out 
I think I heard a sizzle noise

Now the green light on the controller doesn't come on, and the car hasn't moved.

Shall I just bite the bullet and get another handle so I can check if my current one is just duff, or are there any simple tests I can do with the current handle to see if it is faulty?

I love puttering with gears

(7th-Mar-21, 04:56 PM)BARacer Wrote:  So...

I wired up the controller to a piece of track following the diagram supplied with the metal cartridge. I checked it three times.
STEP 1... What make of track?

(7th-Mar-21, 04:56 PM)BARacer Wrote:  I switched the power supply on. 
STEP 2... Adjustable voltage power supply? Set to what Voltage?

(7th-Mar-21, 04:56 PM)BARacer Wrote:  The green light on the controller came on.

And then things get a bit muddled...I am not sure which exact order the following things happened, but it was all within about a second.

I pulled the trigger
STEP 3... When you pulled the trigger all the way, did the LED glow Red? It should to signify reaching the end of the trigger throw.

(7th-Mar-21, 04:56 PM)BARacer Wrote:  I put a Scalextric car on the track
STEP 4... Digital or Analog car? As soon as you put the car on the track? Without pressing any button or pulling the trigger on the handle?

(7th-Mar-21, 04:56 PM)BARacer Wrote:  I think I heard a sizzle noise

Now the green light on the controller doesn't come on, and the car hasn't moved.
If you start from STEP 1 again, the green LED does not light? If True then the fuse in the Cartridge probably blew, or something else has fried.

(7th-Mar-21, 04:56 PM)BARacer Wrote:  Shall I just bite the bullet and get another handle so I can check if my current one is just duff, or are there any simple tests I can do with the current handle to see if it is faulty?

There are simple tests but you should write down what steps you are taking and only do one thing at a time to confirm operation. Without knowing which track you've wired up, I would start with making sure the wiring to/from the PS and track are correct. It sounds like you have 2 wires swapped.
[+] 2 members Like DPJ's post

(7th-Mar-21, 06:05 PM)DPJ Wrote:  
(7th-Mar-21, 04:56 PM)BARacer Wrote:  So...

STEP 1... What make of track?
A single piece of Scalextric Sport half straight

(7th-Mar-21, 04:56 PM)BARacer Wrote:  I switched the power supply on. 
STEP 2... Adjustable voltage power supply? Set to what Voltage?
It's the basis Pendle 13.8v fixed DC power supply

(7th-Mar-21, 04:56 PM)BARacer Wrote:  The green light on the controller came on.

I pulled the trigger
STEP 3... When you pulled the trigger all the way, did the LED glow Red? It should to signify reaching the end of the trigger throw.
I've seen that in the past when I was trying to get the 'Home' cartridge to work. Didn't notice it in that split second this time round. 

(7th-Mar-21, 04:56 PM)BARacer Wrote:  I put a Scalextric car on the track
STEP 4... Digital or Analog car? As soon as you put the car on the track? Without pressing any button or pulling the trigger on the handle?
It is a basic analogue Bentley Continental. I switched the supply on. The green light came on. I just can't remember if the light went out when I placed the car on the track or when I pulled the trigger, I was in a hopeful frame of mind as opposed to analytical

(7th-Mar-21, 04:56 PM)BARacer Wrote:  I think I heard a sizzle noise

If you start from STEP 1 again, the green LED does not light? If True then the fuse in the Cartridge probably blew, or something else has fried.
Yes, have tried it nine or ten time again, but no green light or car movement. I checked the 10A fuse and it looks intact. Could I try replacing it with a household fuse?

(7th-Mar-21, 04:56 PM)BARacer Wrote:  Shall I just bite the bullet and get another handle so I can check if my current one is just duff, or are there any simple tests I can do with the current handle to see if it is faulty?

There are simple tests but you should write down what steps you are taking and only do one thing at a time to confirm operation. Without knowing which track you've wired up, I would start with making sure the wiring to/from the PS and track are correct. It sounds like you have 2 wires swapped.
I followed this wiring diagram that came in the banana plug bag

I went by the colour of the bands on the three cartridge cables.

Thank you for your assistance DJP

[+] 1 member Likes BARacer's post

That diagram looks good, and it's how I have my Carrera track wired - Positive Polarity.

At this point, you need to determine if the Cartridge is dead.
If after turning on the power (with the controller connected as per the diagram, and no car on the track) the LED does not light Green then something went wrong. My analog cartridge has 2 glass fuses in it. I've never seen the cartridge you're working with. Take the fuse out and check it with a digital multimeter for continuity - it may look good but might not be. Only replace it with the same.
[+] 1 member Likes DPJ's post

I tried an oXigen cartridge in the same handle, powered it up and...nothing.

I'm thinking I might have damaged the controller in all the fiddling about I've done since Christmas Day

New SCP handle delivered. Now I have something to compare the old handle with and hopefully discover where the damage is.

Very nervous, as I want to do my best to keep handle 2 in full working order!

Anybody aware of anyone who repairs sizzled SCP handles?

Suspicion is now falling onto the power supply!

I thought I would work through the problem systematically, and hooked up the power supply directly to a piece of track, and placed two different cars on the rails...

Nothing.

I have put out a call to a neighbour to see if they have a multimeter.

A good multi meter is a critical tool to have !
[+] 1 member Likes Nonfractal's post

Well I went out and bought a cheap Screwfix multimeter rather than borrow my neighbours (and probably blow it up, knowing my luck!). 

And there are no volts at the terminals of the power supply, even though there is a fan noise being generated. It is the basic 13.8v Fusion model from Pendle. No reset button to press, or fuse to replace. I have sent them a message.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Kevan
18th-Feb-23, 01:44 PM