Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

1950 VW Beetle

There's a car that's been on my radar for quite a while. It's not a Lamborghini, Ferrari, or Maserati. It's a VW Beetle from the 1954 Carrera Panamericana. An ARII static kit with an oval rear window seemed an obvious choice for a good start.

The livery I would like to make is number 262. You can clearly see it's red from this black & white photo.  Thumbup

This next photo helps show the colour better.

The body was molded in red. But it had no shine. Nothing a can of Tamiya bright red won't fix.

A chassis was created.

More details to follow... Eventually.

The only hint that this was made on a new milling machine is the crown gear relief. 

Thank you very kindly for looking.

Chuck Norris can pop a wheelie on a unicycle!
[+] 7 members Like KensRedZed's post

Hello Ken,
I would guess that the lives of many of us here have been touched by a Beetle. I learned to drive in one.

Have you painted this car or has it only been lacquered?  The crown gear slot looks really neat.

Leo

Forum Precepts:  Don't hijack or divert topics - create a new one.   Don't feed the Troll.    http://www.scuderiaturini.com

Is this the first milled chassis for you?

How did you live without crown gear slots before?

I love puttering with gears

Hi Jeremy.

Yes this is the first one for me. As soon as I bought the milling machine. Fellow club members ordered/bought 12 chassis. I came in second place to my new customers.

This was the first set of chassis's made on the mill. They all went to friends.

For the crown gear relief. I used to drill 3-holes, then used a flat file between the holes.

Thank you very kindly, Leo. A can of Tamiya TS-49 bright red came to rescue the flat, red plastic.

[+] 3 members Like KensRedZed's post

Hi Leo,

Here's a photo showing the colour of the unpainted plastic inside the body. I should probably take before and after photos. I tend to skip over things I assume everyone knows. My humble apologies.

I have helped several of my fellow club members get the most from a rattle-can. I seem to do okay with them.

[+] 1 member Likes KensRedZed's post

A little progress. It was not a pleasure to paint over aluminum wheels. I would have preferred to leave them. But then the car would be less accurate than it already is for the Carrera Panamericana. So white they went.

The original static chassis was cut up to use the bumper supports.

More details to follow.

Thank you very kindly for looking.

[+] 4 members Like KensRedZed's post

Sweet

I love puttering with gears

Thanks Jeremy.

Now comes the fun part of figuring out how to print those challenging white decals that cover the entire CAR! My weakness...