Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Revoslot cars with SSD

As my first post, and something that was discussed on, dare I say it, another forum.
Up until now I have used only Scalextric cars on my SSD (C7042 APB) track. I am planning on trying another brand and as the title says a Revoslot car (Marcos). 
Is anyone aware of any issues in using a C7005 non DPR chip in relation to motor current draw etc. Also as this range uses a metal chassis, is it wise to insulate the underneath to prevent short circuiting, and obviously isolating the chip.

Welcome Keith Wavegreen 

I think you're probably okay with the C7005 in a RevoSlot. There is no traction magnet and the car weighs in at 99g - so not too much for the motor to drag round the track. The motor itself is rated at 21k rpm and 200 g*cm - which is a bit more torquey than the standard Slot.it S-Cans, but not much. And they are fine (non-mag) with a C7005. I would be tempted to go down the Slot.it SP15B SSD chip route - just to be on the safe side - or a C8515 Rev H removed from it's plastic hatch. The Revoslot chassis had a nice hole for the circuit-board-mounted LEDs to fit.

Yes, I think you will need to think carefully about insulation - definitely when fitting the chip! Underneath, there is the danger of shorting the rails on the metal chassis - however, that does depend on ground clearance and it looks to me like there is a decent gap. That's the case with the 1:24 BRM cars. The main issue is more likely to be the motor case and the screws - which should always be well insulated (and screws taped over) when running on digital, whatever the brand of car. You'll also need to consider any elevations on your layout and when the chassis might bottom out over a sharp crest. The APB doesn't like shorts, but has pretty good protection. You'll soon see if you need to cover one or both of the chassis plates with thin vinyl sheet - or something similar.

Another possibility is that Pendle Slot Racing now have plastic 3D printed chassis for the Marcos and some of the other RevoSlot cars. That raises the cost - and I'm not convinced the metal chassis should cause too many issues if you are careful... but it is another option.

Look forward to hearing how you get on. The RevoSlot cars look great! However, if you decided on a simpler next step - I think the Slot.it Group C or DTM cars with a SP15B chip and traction magnet removed are sensational on Sport track.
[+] 2 members Like woodcote's post

(20th-Oct-20, 10:01 PM)woodcote Wrote:  Welcome Keith Wavegreen 

I think you're probably okay with the C7005 in a RevoSlot. There is no traction magnet and the car weighs in at 99g - so not too much for the motor to drag round the track. The motor itself is rated at 21k rpm and 200 g*cm - which is a bit more torquey than the standard Slot.it S-Cans, but not much. And they are fine (non-mag) with a C7005.  I would be tempted to go down the Slot.it SP15B SSD chip route - just to be on the safe side - or a C8515 Rev H removed from it's plastic hatch. The Revoslot chassis had a nice hole for the circuit-board-mounted LEDs to fit.

Yes, I think you will need to think carefully about insulation - definitely when fitting the chip! Underneath, there is the danger of shorting the rails on the metal chassis - however, that does depend on ground clearance and it looks to me like there is a decent gap. That's the case with the 1:24 BRM cars. The main issue is more likely to be the motor case and the screws - which should always be well insulated (and screws taped over) when running on digital, whatever the brand of car. You'll also need to consider any elevations on your layout and when the chassis might bottom out over a sharp crest. The APB doesn't like shorts, but has pretty good protection. You'll soon see if you need to cover one or both of the chassis plates with thin vinyl sheet - or something similar.

Another possibility is that Pendle Slot Racing now have plastic 3D printed chassis for the Marcos and some of the other RevoSlot cars. That raises the cost - and I'm not convinced the metal chassis should cause too many issues if you are careful... but it is another option.

Look forward to hearing how you get on. The RevoSlot cars look great! However, if you decided on a simpler next step - I think the Slot.it Group C or DTM cars with a SP15B chip and traction magnet removed are sensational on Sport track.

Thanks a lot and thanks too for the quick response! I think some insulation across the underneath will be necessary as you say. It sounds, as I will probably fit a magnet, it might be best to go with a current Rev H DPR Chip, and again as you mentioned just remove the base, and support the chip on some few mm plasticard to get the IR LED at the right height. 
From looking at pictures of the chassis there should be space above the existing slot. 
I'm guessing the distance between the guide blade and slot are close enough to not cause any issues. Without meaning to start to sound paranoid!

The issue of distance between blade and LED is an issue with ARC Pro and with the APB with original factory firmware (v0.85) that relies on both blade and LED sensors for lap counting. In that case, the optimum distance is 10mm (plus or minus 4mm) and the maximum is 24mm (see here: https://slotracer.online/community/showt...p?tid=1015).

However, if you have updated your APB firmware to v1.09, that lap timing glitch is not an issue. The only potential problem is the pivot effect - the further back the LED, the straighter the car needs to be as it crosses the lap sensors, lane-changer sensors and any pit lane sensors. A half straight after a curve usually does the job - maybe a full straight if you run non-mag.

Personally, I would go with the Slot.it SP15B rather than hack up a C8515 - it is a much easier job. Fitting the SP15B in the Revoslot will require two soldering points on the motor - that's all. The difference in price between the two chips isn't much - at Pendles it's £19.99 vs £14.95.

Oh, and if you haven't upgraded your APB to v1.09 firmware, plus PC race management software, you really should! See here: https://slotracer.online/community/showt...p?tid=1056
[+] 1 member Likes woodcote's post

(21st-Oct-20, 10:09 AM)woodcote Wrote:  The issue of distance between blade and LED is an issue with ARC Pro and with the APB with original factory firmware (v0.85) that relies on both blade and LED sensors for lap counting. In that case, the optimum distance is 10mm (plus or minus 4mm) and the maximum is 24mm (see here: https://slotracer.online/community/showt...p?tid=1015).

However, if you have updated your APB firmware to v1.09, that lap timing glitch is not an issue. The only potential problem is the pivot effect - the further back the LED, the straighter the car needs to be as it crosses the lap sensors, lane-changer sensors and any pit lane sensors. A half straight after a curve usually does the job - maybe a full straight if you run non-mag.

Personally, I would go with the Slot.it SP15B rather than hack up a C8515 - it is a much easier job. Fitting the SP15B in the Revoslot will require two soldering points on the motor - that's all. The difference in price between the two chips isn't much - at Pendles it's £19.99 vs £14.95.

Oh, and if you haven't upgraded your APB to v1.09 firmware, plus PC race management software, you really should! See here: https://slotracer.online/community/showthread.php?tid=1056

Once again many thanks for the very detailed response!! To answer your point re the firmware, I am indeed running v1.09, so yes I don't need to worry about the sensor issues with APB- This upgrade is arguably the best and most vital operation to carry out for the C7042. Also fortunately when designing my permanent layout (I probably should post some pictures), where there are any lane changer tracks I always precede  these with at least a short straight, so hopefully IR LED/Guide blade distance won't be an issue.
Finally I am inclined to agree with you regarding the Slot it chip as being the best solution, but if I could bug you with one more question:- where is the IR LED located, or is it the case that you solder the LED to the chip using the separately sold IR LED pack that Slot it offer.
Once again many thanks for your very detailed reply, and thanks in advance for the answer to my last point.
Best regards...

The LED on the Slot.it chip is on the underside of the board. There are some pics of one fitted in a Slot.it Porsche 956 here: https://slotracer.online/arc-pro-guide/s...html#chips

That’s an old chip - the gold component is the LED. The newer versions of the SP15B have a small black ‘domed’ LED in the same position - all ready to poke through the chassis.

The separate LED is for when you can’t lay the chip flat in the chassis - usually in very small cars. The RevoSlot cars will be perfectly big enough - and nice and flat.
[+] 1 member Likes woodcote's post

Thanks for all the information, and I will be onto PSR to order the chip. I may for I think £2.40 also get the spare IR LED, reason being my track uses the Scalextric Lap game -albeit with the tower wired remotely as on a scenic layout it looks more than a little daft and toy like, which is not surprising given that what is! The track sensor for this is certainly not the most reliable, often having difficulty registering with some older C7005 chips, so it may have trouble picking up the Slot it board mounted LED. As I say for £2.40 better to be safe...
Thanks again...
[+] 1 member Likes keiths's post