Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

What is a collector?

In this gender neutral era it would seem I now have the right to call myself what I want so despite having collected a collection I'm not a collector. ?
[+] 1 member Likes Kevan's post

(25th-Apr-19, 06:03 AM)Gordon Steadman Wrote:  I have some chairs in my lounge that are used for sitting on not just for looking at. Does this make me a chair collector?
No because with slot cars we are talking about items that are part of a hobby not items that are for practical everyday use. You could have a hobby as a chair collector but that would be different to buying chairs to sit on an watch TV or have your dinner. Now you might say racing a slot car is making practical use but I would disagree - it is using them as intended as part of the hobby of slot car racing there isn't any practical benefit in doing this as there would be in say using a hammer to knock a nail in.

I still think the dictionary definition doesn't apply here.

There is a clear perceived difference between those that have slot cars to race and those that have them to look at and obsess a bit over completeness, value, MIB etc.

There shouldn't be any criticism of either as they are two separate hobbies (although with some crossover clearly) but we seem, as humans, to want to be part of a club and mock outsiders. Wanna be in my gang?

Good old Oxford dictionary says
"a person who collects things of a specified type, professionally or as a hobby: an art collector."

Some other online definitions:
A person who collects objects is called a "collector" or a "hobbyist." He may also be called a "compiler" or an "accumulator." 

Perhaps those that don't race them are accumulators or compilers :)

The hobby of collecting includes seeking, locating, acquiring, organizing, cataloging, displaying, storing, and maintaining items that are of interest to an individual collector

Good discussion - I have no issue with telling people or someone saying I collect slot cars. However I don't collect chairs. :)

It says Coke on the side of buses...doesn't mean it's full of it.

Lost me there. Happy days to you.....

(25th-Apr-19, 06:03 AM)Gordon Steadman Wrote:  I have some chairs in my lounge that are used for sitting on not just for looking at. Does this make me a chair collector?
As you have not stated how many "some" is, it is difficult to answer. Had you posted "throughout my house I have 18 (or whatever the count is in your case) chairs". Yes, that would be a collection and make you a collector of chairs.
[+] 1 member Likes Geoff Shannon's post

(24th-Apr-19, 10:48 AM)Kevan Wrote:  I have a fair few cars now after nearly four years in the hobby but I'm not a collector, I'm a racer.  I buy cars I can make competitive not buy them because it'll be worth something in the future or because it's a limited edition or because it's another car in my favourite livery. My cars don't sit in bespoke cabinets either, some are battle scarred, some are highly modified and I don't get anal about scuffs or accuracy or whether the wheels are properly the scale or the registration is incorrect etc.

(25th-Apr-19, 07:45 AM)Gordon Steadman Wrote:  I still think the dictionary definition doesn't apply here.

There is a clear perceived difference between those that have slot cars to race and those that have them to look at and obsess a bit over completeness, value, MIB etc.

There shouldn't be any criticism of either as they are two separate hobbies (although with some crossover clearly) but we seem, as humans, to want to be part of a club and mock outsiders. Wanna be in my gang?
A dictionary is a collection of words, with information for each word including their meaning. They exist to be used as a reference tool to aid communication.
Due to the continual changes in languages dictionaries evolve with time, but I have yet to find a definition for a collector stating that the definition applies in all cases except for slot car collectors that primarily use their collected items for racing.

The perceived difference appears to me only in the minds of those that deny being collectors that primarily use their cars for racing.

I don't believe that we are dealing with two hobbies. The hobby is collecting slot cars. The use of the slot car is the difference.
Isn't the use of "obsess a bit over completeness, value, MIB etc." or" I don't get anal about scuffs or accuracy or whether the wheels are properly the scale or the registration is incorrect etc." mockery of those that may do so?

Thank you for taking the time to upload your extensive collection of Model Car scale drawings.  Thumbup Thumbup

I'm not sure about this 'aid to communication' bit Bigsmile

Nothing wrong with a bit of light hearted mockery. Most people like Monty Python. It's when it starts getting all personal and nasty that the problems start. It's all about labels anyway "how dare you call me a collector? I'll sue!".

The drawings have a way to go yet. Apart from only being half way through the list, I have just remembered there is also a folder full of one off drawings as well. As there is a limit on numbers of pics in each thread, it may take a few to complete it.

Keeps me occupied when not adding to my empty car body collection Cool

(28th-Apr-19, 02:03 AM)Geoff Shannon Wrote:  
As you have not stated how many "some" is, it is difficult to answer. Had you posted "throughout my house I have 18 (or whatever the count is in your case) chairs". Yes, that would be a collection and make you a collector of chairs.

I suspect it's around the same number as my slot car 'collection'. 

I just counted them in my head and it's twelve. That includes the small sofa in the snug and the big one in the lounge. Hmmm... this is becoming a bad habit. Not sure my wife will like the idea but the dechetterie (local dump) is open on Sunday mornings now. Or I could sell them and get some more slot cars. Tease
[+] 1 member Likes Gordon Steadman's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Gordon Steadman
4th-Jan-21, 08:36 AM