Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Scalextric The Genius of Colin Chapman - Team Lotus Triple Pack

Here's a peek at the box art and pre-production prototypes for the rather super Team Lotus Grand Prix limited edition triple pack expected in time for Christmas...

Scalextric C4184A The Genius of Colin Chapman Team Lotus Triple Pack. Limited Edition of 1500 units. RRP £129.99. Available December 2020.

The set features three ground-breaking Chapman cars, three iconic liveries and three world champions...

Back in the day when car numbers changes pretty much every race, what we seem to have is...
  • Jim Clark's Lotus 25 from the 1962 Belgian Grand Prix - Clark's first world Championship victory (and the first of four consecutive wins at Spa), the Lotus 25's first Grand Prix win and the first win for a car with a monocoque chassis. Team Lotus and Clark would have to wait until 1963 for their first constructors' and drivers' World Championships, when Clark drove the Lotus 25 to an astonishing seven wins (nine podiums) in the ten races.
  • Graham Hill's Gold Leaf Lotus 49 from the 1968 Spanish Grand Prix - coming just a month after Clark's fatal crash at Hockenheim, it was Hill's first win of three in a bitter-sweet season, when he picked up a second World Championship. There was also Team Lotus' third constructors' title, a first world championship for the Ford Cosworth DFV engine and for a car with the engine used as a stress-bearing structural component.
  • Emerson Fittipaldi's JPS Lotus 72 from the 1972 Spanish Grand Prix - his first win of five in a dominant drive to become the youngest-ever F1 world champion (a record that latest until 2005). It was the highly-innovative Lotus 72's second world championship and Team Lotus' fifth.

Quite a line-up - and one that will thrill Lotus and classic F1 fans.

The triple pack is scheduled for Winter 2020-1, but Hornby's arrangement with Santa is that it will definitely be available in time for Christmas. It can be pre-ordered now at the Scalextric website (here) and at MRE, Pendle Slot Racing, Jadlam Toys & Models and plenty more Scalextric retailers.
[+] 5 members Like woodcote's post

I SO wish that they would do a companion Ferrari Set, and Brabham - that would be swesome!!
[+] 1 member Likes Anthony B's post

The Scalextric Team were saying last year that the 2020 catalogue would be more representative of what they wanted every year to look like. What they've given us this year in 1/32 scale is new tooling for 11 new models - including the Tyrrell P34 - plus half a new model in the Tyrrell 001, which I presume is essentially the old 002/3 tooling. That's a triple pack in the bag already - "The Dogged Determination of Ken Tyrrell" - 001, 002 or 003 and P34.

Here's a peek of the 001 pre-production model...

The 001 is also due Winter 2020-21. Not sure there is a definite pre-Christmas arrangement with Santa, although I reckon there might be.

Given that Hornby are delivering pretty much on time, despite the pandemic - and Scalextric seems to be selling very well this year - I expect the 2021 catalogue to match this year's. Given the F1 Legends series is so popular, I'd hope to see one or two new models, plus a return of some of the previous models in new liveries - either as individual cars or in themed twin or triple packs. I remember the Scalextric Team saying that some Scalextric moulds were junked by the previous management's horrific act of cultural vandalism. I don't remember the specifics, but some Legends may have gone and some will have survived. I guess we'll see.

If I was going to make one wish, I'd like to see a Shadow DN1 - it's a stunning car with the options of the iconic black UOP and the white Embassy Hill liveries. There would be the potential for a Graham Hill pack at some point - especially if a BRM P57 was added to the range. That seems to have turned into two wishes!
[+] 3 members Like woodcote's post

The Lotus triple pack features in this month's Scalextric Test Track video...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Scott
4th-Feb-24, 08:21 PM
Last Post by darrenp60
14th-Aug-23, 10:31 PM