Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Decent slot car tuning tools and transport equipment

Hi guys

Can anyone from the UK recommend a decent toolkit for slot car tuning for the club scene?

I had to make a makeshift allen key with a pin vice and some aggressive behaviour to the supplied allen key to work on my slot.its recently!

Also, what do you guys use to transport your cars and tools to your club meetings? And whats in your box? Complete newbie to the club scene!

Thanks in advance

Stuart
[+] 1 member Likes 1eye101's post

Think it's called a Polybutler but not sure. Was no good for HO (1:64) but perfect for 1/32.

(Googled it and yes, it's a Polybutler Pit Box CR148.)

Maybe photograph the individual drawers tomorrow, with contents.

P.S. I'm no 1/32 expert. Started club racing last year. Been to six meetings in total before Lockdown brought things to a halt. So, contents & tools will not be typical of a seasoned club racers set-up.

(See this thread: https://slotracer.online/community/showt...hp?tid=250)
[+] 1 member Likes Top Down's post

Stuart 

Have a look at the following thread for some of the basics.

https://slotracer.online/community/showt...hp?tid=871

You also need small phillips and slotted screwdrivers, a needle point oiler like they use for model railways, tape to clean your tyres (masking tape is OK but some use duck tape or similar), small standard and long nose pliers and a decent pair of medium sized tweezers are handy.
The rest of mine is filled up with a few spares (pinions, crowns, braid, spacers and tyres) but spares aren't essential for a beginner and we stock some at club anyway. 

The Polybutler is a good race case but quite expensive and a bit bulky. AB Slotsport also sell race cases but, again, they are quite expensive and are more biased towards BSCRA racing. The Polybutler is ideal if you are carrying a lot of cars around but if you only want to carry a couple of car for a particular club night then you might be better off with a small plastic toolbox or maybe something meant for fishing tackle.  I have even seen people turn up with all their kit in a carrier bag or cardboard box. It isn't what you carry the cars in that really matters - it is how they go when you get em on track that makes the difference.

There is a good basic guide to tools etc in the Manual. LINK

A plastic toolbox has always done the job for me, although they tend to get bigger as time goes by. Here is a previous one but my latest is half as big again and holds 10 cars.

[+] 2 members Like CMOTD's post

Hello Stuart,
The only special tools I have are Wera hex drivers and a blunted small Pozidrive screwdriver.
The Wera tools were reccomended to me as they will last a long time and not "round" so will not damage the grub-screws. Of course,  used roughly, they will!!  0.9mm and 1.5mm
I find that any small pozidrive screwdrivers tend to have very sharp points and that prevents them from getting right in to the top of a screw. So I carefully file off a tiny amount from the very tip to improve the engagement with the screw-head.

Leo

Forum Precepts:  Don't hijack or divert topics - create a new one.   Don't feed the Troll.    http://www.scuderiaturini.com
[+] 2 members Like Scuderia_Turini's post

I have these 3 drivers as well, from rs components i think. Nice to hold and the tips seem good and strong.

Wish the sizes came with different markings for quicker identification mid-fettle!

Edit...is that a quick identification tape you have added to the mid size one that is difficult to identify without reference to either of the others?

I love puttering with gears

Hello Jeremy,  yes = the one with white paint around it is the 1.5mm size. The other two are both 0.9mm size.  I also colour code my blunted pozidrivers with red paint.

Leo

Forum Precepts:  Don't hijack or divert topics - create a new one.   Don't feed the Troll.    http://www.scuderiaturini.com

Ok.

I have the classic 0.9, 1.3, 1.5 set, and use all three sizes on my cars.

Sorry - Not used to forums with helpful things like manuals so never even occurred to me that the forum manual would have info on this otherwise I would have suggested that as a starting point.
[+] 1 member Likes autoavia's post

(1st-Aug-20, 09:43 AM)autoavia Wrote:  Sorry - Not used to forums with helpful things like manuals so never even occurred to me that the forum manual would have info on this otherwise I would have suggested that as a starting point.

Too late...i now want a pit case!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by tatter06
26th-Nov-21, 09:19 PM
Last Post by Iceman
7th-Oct-21, 12:36 PM
Last Post by Savage GT
9th-Sep-21, 07:37 AM
Last Post by BARacer
1st-Feb-20, 10:41 AM