Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Hydro-dipping

[attachment=7507 Wrote:DPJ pid='8919' dateline='1594319744']Wow that's a busy livery! How'd you do that one?

Thanks DPJ
Wasn't too bad, base coat of silver, masked off everything I didnt want green. Then masked off doors and green parts and space on bonnet for race number, and dipped. Once dipped and washed off can remove all the masking tape before clear coat, then applied decals and clear coated again.
I dipped that for last years UK NSR GT3 event also done a Porsche 908/3 for the NSR Classic event.
I've been dipping cars for a couple of years now, its a great way to get some interesting paint jobs.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

[+] 2 members Like 155Stick's post

A couple of other ones I have done, the P4 didn't turn out as well as I hoped as lot of the colour was lost against the green base coat.

[+] 1 member Likes 155Stick's post

(9th-Jul-20, 11:25 PM)155Stick Wrote:  
(9th-Jul-20, 06:35 PM)DPJ Wrote:  Wow that's a busy livery! How'd you do that one?

Thanks DPJ
Wasn't too bad, base coat of silver, masked off everything I didnt want green. Then masked off doors and green parts and space on bonnet for race number, and dipped. Once dipped and washed off can remove all the masking tape before clear coat, then applied decals and clear coated again.
I dipped that for last years UK NSR GT3 event also done a Porsche 908/3 for the NSR Classic event.
I've been dipping cars for a couple of years now, its a great way to get some interesting paint jobs.

(9th-Jul-20, 11:34 PM)155Stick Wrote:  A couple of other ones I have done, the P4 didn't turn out as well as I hoped as lot of the colour was lost against the green base coat.

Ok. I think I got it - all the graphic is a decal and the dip is the solid green color. Do you have a video of the process?

(10th-Jul-20, 02:52 AM)DPJ Wrote:  
(9th-Jul-20, 11:25 PM)155Stick Wrote:  
(9th-Jul-20, 06:35 PM)DPJ Wrote:  Wow that's a busy livery! How'd you do that one?

Thanks DPJ

(9th-Jul-20, 11:34 PM)155Stick Wrote:  A couple of other ones I have done, the P4 didn't turn out as well as I hoped as lot of the colour was lost against the green base coat.

Ok. I think I got it - all the graphic is a decal and the dip is the solid green color. Do you have a video of the process?

Sorry don't think explained myself to well, the graphics are the hydro dipping film, the silver and green are spray painted. I masked up what I wanted to stay green & silver, so after I dipped the body I could remove the tape and those parts had no film applied to them.
Unfortunately I've  not got a video of the dipping process.

So do you hold the body upside down and push it down onto the floating film?

I love gears (& urethanes)

[attachment=7536 Wrote:BourneAgainRacer pid='8929' dateline='1594371044']So do you hold the body upside down and push it down onto the floating film?

Yes at a slight angle, I also tape inside the body to close up the windows and other holes as it stops the water rushing in and distorting the film.

Okay!!! NOW I got it!! Thanks for clearing that up! Where do you get the dip design from?

(10th-Jul-20, 06:46 PM)DPJ Wrote:  Okay!!! NOW I got it!! Thanks for clearing that up! Where do you get the dip design from?

Sorry if I upset any mods by posting a company web address, but in my defence someone else already mentioned the company  Rofl
Dipthis.co.uk and they are not slot related so hopefully dont upset anyone else

We don't have a problem with people posting links where approprate. Thumbup

Latest Dip, Slot.it GT3 Maserati

[+] 3 members Like 155Stick's post