Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Shenanigans Raceway (Taree)

Here is the custom homemade Start/Finish Gantry & Advertising housing the new Trackmate Flood Bar unit. If you enlarge the photo you can see the LED's just protruding below. Great little setup this Flood Bar in that you don't need to align the individual LED's with the IR's underneath in the slot, I was dubious on it's working, but it actually does work and quite well, the test will be racing on Wednesday 5th November 2020.

New Trackmate Flood Bar in custom homemade Start-Finish Gantry  with advertising

[+] 1 member Likes Johnno's post

ok so earlier tonight I removed the Trackmate USB interface and soldered two wires to the bottom of the interface and attached the other two wires into the topside of the interface with the already attached wired track call button, as per the simple instructions and tested the wireless button out.

omg... the range on this thing is phenomenal and it all works very nice. This will make marshalling the large track so much easier. Highly recommend the wireless Trackmate track call button.

[attachment=9955]
Wireless Track Call Button installation

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Been a while since I posted, with no real updates other than to say that the replacement modules from MrTrax have been delivered and installed.

The braid certainly is wider than the original. I also requested a custom piece be made this being a small 500mm straight, this little piece alone has seen a dramatic change in the width of the track, while relocating the full large straight to before the overpass meaning you come into and under the overpass at near to full throttle and coming over the braking is now on the same large straight, yet the overpass still bares braking scars LOL.

Thanks Peter for getting these modules sorted and replaced.

I've done the wiring though I am about ready once again to do the wiring this time better, though this will wait until after the coming race.

I hope everyone had a great Christmas and preparations are under way for New Years celebrations, to some extent.

Start Gantry & Tower

Part One: Modifications, surface preparation, paint station and perspex installation.

I've had the Gantry Walkway and Control Tower MDF kit from ProScaleRacing now for a little over two years and couldn't work out if it would fit correctly with my track, I bought it for the Scalextric track, finally got stuck in and worked on it. 

As I stuffed up previously gluing it before I painted it, I had to do a partial dismantle of the the gantry and tower, wasn't too hard, a couple of dabs of water on the PVA glued tabs, some gentle persuasion with a craft knife and the couple of sections came away fairly easy. 

The walkway had to be cut in half so I could insert a 65mm section so it would extend across the four lanes of my track, I think it turned out ok. 

From there I utilised a sheet of perspex I found in the gutter about a year ago, there was no window plastic included with the PSR kits for some silly reason, major oversight, I spent the better part of the day cutting the perspex to fit, the hardest being the control tower race control box as the perspex needed to the cut on a 5 degree angle, I simply used my sliding compound saw to do the cutting, started doing it manually then got the saw setup correctly for the angle cuts, sooo much easier LOL, with some very close finger holding at the saw blade.... some very strong concentration was needed for this dangerous job. 

I know what it's like to have a digit ripped off, when I was 13 I was helping my uncle get his powerboat out of the river, I was screwing the D-shackle bolt in when the bloke jumped on the tractor with wet feet, no rubber on the pedals, his foot slipped off the clutch, the boat trailer and tractor went forward, the boat stayed put, the D-shackle corkscrewed itself around my right thumb, completely lacerating it off... damn it all to hell and back... I felt nothing when it happened, just grabbed my thumb and ran to mum, then the pain hit.. that was the last year the power boat event was run :( 

I decided to keep things simple colour wise so I went with an all over gloss white, Sky Blue for the window trims and Machinery Grey for the roof tops. 

From there I decided to add a Falcon car and the SR lettering to the very top of the Control Tower, I loaned the brand new car to another racer to do some vacuum forming and the forming heat actually destroyed the car body some, so that was reassigned to the Control Tower roof :) 

Start Gantry & Tower

Part Two: LED installation and on track test

Some months back I stumbled across some LED lights with the USB-A connector already on, these could be cut down to size also, before this find I found some LED lights online that included the right angle and connector items which came in handy, with both the combinations I was able to run two strips of lights glued to the roof of the walkway and both down and up the Control Tower adding light to the entire structure, the excess LED strip I wound up and placed inside the center support posts to add bit of ambient light to the Control Tower race control area. 

Next is to add the Start / Finish signage and some track side signage to the Control Tower as well to break things up a little. The entire item is in-situ on the track and looks quite good. 

Shenanigans Raceway logo

[+] 2 members Like Johnno's post

After having completed the PSR Control Tower Start Gantry I decided to grab the other PSR buildings out of the cupboard and get into completing them. 

The smaller tower to the Control Tower Start Gantry I'm going to re-utilise it as a separate three story VIP Tower. 

The second building is the PSR Grandstand and the third and final building is the PSR Podium. 

Before any painting, I went about measuring and cutting the perspex for the windows for all the buildings, having thought about a much better way to remove the perspex protective paper that the glue had hardened on, I soaked the perspex in 100% IPA to attack the glue on the protective paper, it worked a treat, much easier than using eucalyptus oil and loads of elbow grease.... oh well now I know an easier way for later reference LOL. 

Just like the Control Tower Start Gantry, I had already glued and assembled the buildings so some dabs and rubbing of water into the joints to loosen the PVA glue was required, thankfully no damage has occurred to any to the buildings. 

Followed by a primer and white undercoat spray paint followed up with a top coat of Gloss White, the internal stairs were again painted with the Dark Bronze to emulate brown stairs with some bling ?

Perspex cut and cleaned ready to go in when painting is completed. 

[+] 3 members Like Johnno's post

Any progress on this build?

(20th-Mar-23, 09:06 PM)knoath Wrote:  Any progress on this build?

All completed many months back, if you scroll up through the posts you will see the finished gantry in the rtacing photos

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by slotn77
6th-Nov-23, 06:42 AM
Last Post by knoath
18th-Apr-23, 01:47 AM
Last Post by knoath
18th-Apr-23, 01:44 AM
Last Post by Zippideedooda
13th-Mar-23, 01:41 AM
Last Post by KensRedZed