Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Carrera Evolution Cars - 2020 update

Whereas Scalextric have been busy getting their 2020 new releases into the hands of customers, things had been rather quite from Carrera... So, it was excellent to hear from Carrera's UK distributor this week and see the first 2020 releases hit the shelves in the UK over the past 24 hours.

I previewed the March releases way back in February - read the write-up here - and these should be with retailers in the next few days...

Two of the cars that have just arrived are in the delayed April batch...

Expected in the next month are the cars scheduled for July...

And then - hopefully - things should be back to normal... which, of course, usually means some delays!

The April releases include two classic American stock cars and the cracking Mann-Filter HTP Motorsport AMG GT3 from the ADAC GT Masters series.

First in my shopping basket is the 1970 Plymouth Road Runner - which I'll review as soon as it arrives from Pendles. The original car was driven by Ramo Stott in the Midwestern ARCA series. Featuring some dominating performances in his aerodynamic Superbird, Stott won nine of the twenty rounds (six in the Road Runner) and captured the 1970 ARCA championship. He  successfully defended his ARCA title in 1971 (with the new model Road Runner) and was crowned the USAC stock car champion in 1975. Stott also raced part-time in Nascar between 1967 and 1977, making 35 starts - with an impressive 17 top-tens and pole at the 1976 Daytona 500.

Although pictures of Stott's Superbird (already produced by Carrera) are plentiful - because it's the best-preserved Superbird in existence - images of the more successful Road Runner short-track car are hard to find. This one suggests the Carrera livery is close, but not quite 100% correct with the Plymouth lettering at the back. Or maybe it was a repaired and re-painted quarter panel? Those ARCA short-track races could be pretty brutal.

The second stock car is the 1970 Superbird driven by Richard Brickhouse in the 1970 Nascar season, qualifying fifth and finishing sixth at the Daytona 500...

Brickhouse had won the previous year's Talladega 500, substituting - because of a drivers' strike -  for Charlie Glotzbach in a Dodge Charger Daytona. Brickhouse made 39 Nascar starts across five seasons, scoring 13 top tens and the one victory.

I've said it before - and I'll say it again - I really love these big Carrera stock cars and I am very pleased to see a variety of models in the catalogue this year. In addition to the Stott Road Runner and Brickhouse Superbird, we're expecting Marty Robbin's beautiful purple 1969 Charger Daytona, plus Bobby Isaac's 1969 'non-aero' Charger later in the year. The full 2020 Carrera catalogue is in the SlotRacer Library here: slotracer.online/library/carrera/carrera-catalogue-2020

The analogue Carrera Evolution cars are the only Carrera 1/32 models officially imported into the UK. You can expect to see the Digital-only liveries in 1/32 and 1/24 scale with some dealers and all the digital cars can be ordered from any Carrera stockist as a special order item via the UK distributor. The Evolution cars can be run on Scalextric and other 1/32 scale track systems using the 'shallow' guide included in the box. They are easily converted to Scalextric digital using the C7005 retro-fit chip. The red shallow guide will need to be painted black to work with the ARC One, Air and ARC Pro lap counters - or the BRM-126 black guide can be used as a direct 'shallow' replacement.

A big thank you to Pete at the Hobby Company for the images and release details.
[+] 2 members Like woodcote's post

All the March and April cars - plus the Bobby Isaac Dodge Charger - have now reached the UK Thumbup

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by woodcote
14th-Sep-20, 08:15 AM