Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Get Your Chips fixed here

Hi Claudius and welcome Wavegreen 

Greg hasn't been seen in these parts for quite a while. You could send him a private message (click on his user name and look for the private message option) and see if he replies.

If you are frying chips, it's worthwhile understanding why...

• unless there is a manufacturing fault (usually happens during first use), a chip will 'fry' if too much current passes through the components - including if there is a short circuit. If a brand new C8515 chip fails - and you've not modified it or the car - contact Scalextric for a replacement.
  • the latest (Rev H) C8515 Digital Plugs have a much higher current tolerance than the older versions of the C8515 and any of the C7005/6 retro fit chips.
  • Avoid revving the motor when the car is unable to move - 'stalling' the motor like this increases the current draw significantly. So avoid all but the most gently truing of tyres, avoid shoving crashed cars out of the way, avoid holding the car when on full throttle, avoid gunning the throttle if the car gets stuck in the track.
  • Adding more magnetic downforce (stronger or extra magnets or lower-profile tyres) will add to the strain on the motor and draw more current through the chip.
  • Some high-power motors draw too much current for the chip to handle - especially older versions of the C8515 and the C7005/6 retro-fit chips. Be aware if you upgrade the motor.
  • Avoid short-circuits: keep the braids nice and neat (straight and close to the guide) and be careful of any metal-on-metal contact inside the car.
  • Poor soldering is the #1 reason for the retro-fit C7005/6 chips to fail.

I have fried one chip in nearly ten years of digital racing at home and club. Greg repaired it for me  Thumbup
[+] 1 member Likes woodcote's post

Sorry to have disappeared for a while ....... I caught the 'Rona and it affected my arms & legs with loss of sensation and pins & needles at other times amongst other things. However, I have tried to fix up the pile of work that arrived on my doorstep during the lockdown. The summer months are normally the quiet season but it seemed that everyone was enjoying an extra season during lockdown.

Yes I will be able to look at your chips for those that have PM'd me but it won't be for a while yet so keep hold of them and I'll post again when I am able to recommence my fixing, upgrading and digitising services ......   Yes
[+] 6 members Like GregK's post

Sorry to hear that Greg, hope you're feeling better now.

Take it easy mate Thumbup

Good to see you here Greg. Sorry to hear that you contracted the virus - take it easy and recover well!!!

Is there anybody out there who can fix digital chips or somebody knows who does if so please leave a name or a contact number or email address that would be very helpful thanks

As you can read above, GregK got Covid really badly. Thankfully he survived, but he's not offering his extremely generous chip repairing service anymore. No-one in the UK slot car community seems to have the necessary PCB skills, the time or the inclination to fill Greg's shoes. Although there may be some local repairs going on at digital racing clubs - you could contact one near you.

The person you're looking for doesn't need to be someone in the slot car community. What you're looking for is an electrical engineer who repairs PCBs. You'll be paying for their time (significant) and replacement parts (negligible). The labour cost for repairing a digital chip may be more than the cost of a replacement chip. Greg's service really was extremely generous.

As prevention is always better than cure, please read my post above. My fried chip count remains at one - mostly thanks to following that advice.
[+] 1 member Likes woodcote's post