Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

News Daniel Abt booted from Formula E for Pranking eSports

Please do not argue about whether or Formula E is motorsport or the advantages/disadvantages of electric cars in general.

In this case a racing driver essentially breached his contract and was fired. From a legal standpoint I totally get it.

I don't think he cheated.
I don't think he intended harm.
I simply think that he had a contractual obligation to do the race and he didn't.
Still, losing him leaves a bad taste behind..

But I think this piece covers it well:

https://katyfairman.com/2020/05/26/my-ho...la-e-exit/

I have actually met Daniel Abt and he really is one of the nicest racing drivers I have ever met.

I really think this will have other repercussions...

I'm not sure that I would agree that having someone else race and pretend to be you could be called anything but cheating, especially as he got paid for racing himself. It doesn't matter how nice he is and him doing it as a joke doesn't change the simple facts. Clearly, the series is taken very seriously, for charity or not.

Whether he should lose his race seat with Audi is another matter but I can quite understand the corporate suits taking a dim view of 'his little joke'

He refused to accept any of the "rewards" from the race. He planned from the start to disqualify himself.

As the rewards were going to charity, how would that work?

Whatever, not exactly professional was it?

You said it Gordon, if you can't "win" anything how can really be cheating?

Oh no he was a total dork for doing it and totally unprofessional and definitely had to be punished.

What this incident does as well, is highlight the 'validation' issue with all e sports, i. e. How do you know the person competing is who they say they are?

I love puttering with gears

(28th-May-20, 07:15 AM)BourneAgainRacer Wrote:  What this incident does as well, is highlight the 'validation' issue with all e sports, i. e. How do you know the person competing is who they say they are?

Well all the other drivers had their cameras running so you could see them at the wheel. Abt's stream had his face obscured and he didn't appear for the post race top 3 interviews.

I race on sims,  I'm sitting next to mine at the moment, and I just find it a shame that when some drivers, commentators and creators are working hard to put on a show for us fans, others just see it as mucking about.

If you watch The Race All Stars series on a Saturday, the level of competition is very high and you can see that a win means a lot to the drivers who are in it.

I get Katy's point about the FE sim not working properly so the drivers are struggling to race and the broadcast isn't very polished. That's a huge shame and would cause a driver to not want to be involved. But it is his job to do it right now.

I stopped watching the F1 esports races too as I've heard the game doesn't replicate the real car feel particularly well and I want to see more of the current grid being involved.

I get why Abt was let go. The series is too high profile for him to do something like that.
[+] 2 members Like Gareth's post

Quote:I've heard the game doesn't replicate the real car feel particularly well

You mean Mercedes running away with it all the time? :-D
[+] 1 member Likes dvd3500's post

Well that is now two drivers, Abt and Kyle Larson, who have lost their real world drives through indiscretions while playing a computer game. Funny old world isn't it?

V8 Supercar IRacing is well worth a watch, each Wednesday morning about 10:30, Freesports channel.
[+] 3 members Like CMOTD's post

(28th-May-20, 03:42 PM)dvd3500 Wrote:  
Quote:I've heard the game doesn't replicate the real car feel particularly well

You mean Mercedes running away with it all the time? :-D

Ha! There is something to be said for equalised car performance isn't there!

The drivers have said that the game can't replicate aero grip for some reason so it only feels like you have mechanical grip from the tyres. Hulkenberg was complaining about it during the second round and Jimmy Broadbent was explaining the feel as well. 

It's the reason that Verstappen isn't racing on the F1 game. He doesn't like the simulator and prefers to spend his time on iRacing. 

Having spent the last year racing on Project Cars 2, I've just started on iRacing and I'm actually quite surprised at how different they feel despite using the same rig and same vr headset. iRacing  really rewards smooth application of steering, brake and throttle but also has an infuriating unsaveable oversteer spin issue on the cars that still have the older tyre model.

It also has a dreadful user interface! PC2 is much nicer to look at.
[+] 1 member Likes Gareth's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post