Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Lotus 23 SALT

Initially 1/32nd  - it iswider than standard -thought it may fit in with this build :)

There is a revell 1/24th available - although not the Lotus - Porsche version...

(21st-Apr-20, 09:18 PM)abie321 Wrote:  Initially 1/32nd  - it iswider than standard -thought it may fit in with this build :)

There is a revell 1/24th available - although not the Lotus - Porsche version...

I have the Revell 1/24 version..........likely my next build !!........also have the "bloated" Eldon, and the Russkit.......neither of these will get built.

Cheers
Chris Walker

Here is a pic of the underside of the shell to show what space there is. Outside width is now correct, inside it can be made wider.

Meanwhile, work on the body goes on.
Having sanding it down to the right dimensions. I give it a thin layer of primer to better see what more there is to do.

So far it is all lime-tree. Next will be to work on the front and the tail. For the grille area, I will use styrene. The weight at present is 10g.
Carver
[+] 1 member Likes Carver's post

Looking Awesome !!

The tyranny of numbers....While Carver is making (should I say outstanding) progress on the coachwork,  EM is still, literally, scratching along with pencil on paper:

The current arithmetic - The critical measurement is the width of the body at the back of the rear tires.  On my drawing I make that to be 44.2mm.  Now, assuming my esteemed colleague can come up with some magic material to reduce the thickness in that region to 1.5 mm on each side, that means that the O/A width of the axle/wheel/tire combination must be a bit less than 41 mm (allowing for a bit of clearance)

One set of gears arrived today.  The spur gear is a fine example of minimalism measuring just 4 mm over the hub.  The 13" X 5 mm wheels from RS Slotracing are currently in transit - looking at the photo and using an "eyeball optical comparator" I'm going to guess 7mm over the hub so....

4 mm + 2 X 7mm = 18 mm - now add a motor:

FF 050 (soldered in with no allowance for screw mounting)  30.65 mm - adding 18 mm and rounding..."Houston, we have a problem"

Plan "B" .. Bear dog or equivalent FF 030 motor - motor, gear, wheels all fit with space left over for a set of golf clubs! - This is a small car and the shell is looking very light so the small motor might have adequate power (and brakes)

Options?  FF 050 motor in an angle winder configuration (more complex chassis - not a lot of experience here with that style) Different wheels - A CB design 14" X 6mm wheel -  "hub less" design and perhaps enough meat to turn off another 0.5 mm - 5.5 mm instead of 7 mm but still not there for the 050 sidewinder.

The noise you may be hearing in the background is the grinding of mental gears....

To be continued..

EM

Al, why would an anglewinder configuration make you think you needed different rear wheels ???

Cheers
Chris Walker

(22nd-Apr-20, 09:20 PM)chrisguyw Wrote:  Al, why would an anglewinder configuration make you think you needed different rear wheels ???

Cheers
Chris Walker

Just misplaced sentence order - punctuation  "angle winder" as one possible approach - different wheels an attempt to find a few mm more for the sidewinder config. - no link between them.

Al

Latest thoughts: Push the angle winder approach a little farther;  A motor "harness" to couple motor to axle. provide a rear body mount and use a "bolt-in" motor fastening so it can be changed out without rebuilding the chassis:

0.050" stainless steel sheet cut and bent per sketch:

pluses: no soldering to motor, 3/16" ID axle carrier tube will accommodate ball bearings (in hand)
minuses: added weight
unknowns:  motor/axle connection sufficiently rigid?  Will it fit? (next step is scale dwg) Fabrication - cut, saw & file or laser cut (?$?)

Feels good to have something resembling progress instead just meandering in circles.

Comments & suggestions please

EM

I would love to have seen the end of this project........

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Barc
3rd-Aug-22, 11:39 PM
Last Post by Barc
3rd-Aug-22, 11:28 PM
Last Post by Kevan
1st-Aug-22, 10:02 PM
Last Post by Barc
1st-Aug-22, 02:32 PM
Last Post by KensRedZed
11th-May-22, 04:42 PM