Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Cooper Ford

(23rd-May-20, 08:11 PM)Fluff Wrote:  Hi Tel , thanks mate when I've glued them , hopefully you can true them for me .

This car is so short ,73 mm wheelbase and 56 mm across at the back   should be good fun and maybe a bit twitchy  .
I've never used slot it offset crown gears before  but it does lower the motor down a bit .

Stay safe , Steve

Question,........how does an offset (hypoid) Crown, lower the motor ??

Cheers
Chris Walker

Hi Chris ,not sure on the technicalities of this but the motor can sit below the centre line of the rear axle  ,thus the motor can be lower by 1\2 a mm or 1 mm ..This as far as my knowledge goes  

Steve

Chris ,as an afterthought the chassis ,a PP one,suggested a slot it offset crown ,and the chassis comes with a photo etched part that fits into a oval motor mount to lower the motor  This is for a flat 6 ,or a boxer  so may not be suitable for others . I'm still learning as well !!!

Steve

Hi Stave, I was being  facetious. Bigsmile...........the use of an  offset (hypoid) Crown does not lower the motor.........the teeth on an offset Crown are angled so that they will mesh with a straight cut  pinion, when the motor shaft is slightly below the centerline of the axle.

So , an offset Crown is used to promote a good gear mesh when the motor shaft is below the axle centerline.

Offset/hypoid gears are only needed in "inline" applications,..........

Cheers
Chris Walker

Hi Chris ,my understanding of this is if the motor shaft is below the rear axle  then so is the motor so it must be lower .Or are you yanking my chain ?

Steve

(23rd-May-20, 08:11 PM)Fluff Wrote:  I've never used slot it offset crown gears before  but it does lower the motor down a bit .

Stay safe , Steve

Hi Steve, I was responding to your wording above.......

The Crown itself does not lower the motor in the chassis.............the  positioning of the center of the bushing cups relative to the motor shaft, is the determining factor in whether an "offset" (motor shaft lower than the rear axle) is designed into the chassis.

If an offset design (chassis or motor pod) is employed (only in an inline), it is highly beneficial to use an "offset" (angled tooth) Crown.

No, I was not yanking your chain, nor did I mean any harm  Bigsmile............likely just semantics  Thumbup

Cheers
Chris Walker

Hi Chris  no worries  

Steve

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Fluff
6th-Aug-19, 06:23 AM
Last Post by Fluff
21st-Jun-19, 01:24 PM
Last Post by Fluff
18th-May-19, 10:12 AM