Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

World's largest permanent slot-car track?

While in Atlanta, Georgia in 2018 I suggested to SWMBO that she might like a little retail therapy. This met with her approval so we drove to a very large outlet mall called Sugarloaf Mills and I left her to browse in Sears while I went for a wander.

Imagine my surprise when I came across a commercial slot track right opposite! Not that I had any prior knowledge of course. Rofl

It was a bit big! 457ft six lane Ninco, 75ft main straight with 29 bends and a total area of over 1800 square ft.

The owner turned out to be an enthusiast and not just a business man. Once he discovered I was 'not from round here'  and had some club racing experience we had a nice long chat and then he let me play on the track for the next hour or so. Brilliant stuff and he even refused to take any money off me! Eventually my good lady turned up, told me that playtime was over and we had a 200 mile drive to complete so we headed out.

Unfortunately I think it closed sometime in 2019 but it was definitely the longest permanent track I have ever come across. Apart from temporary ones constructed for record attempts and the like has anybody found a bigger one?
[+] 12 members Like CMOTD's post

I do believe Slingshot holds the record as the largest permanent slot car track. I have been there to see it, but have not raced on it.
Steve

This is not the Largest, but, may be the newest...............a 6 lane 135Ft Policar track currently being finished up in Toronto.

[Image: IMG-5069.jpg]

In the same venue, there will also be a 6 lane 150Ft wood track.......also in progress !!

[Image: IMG-5063.jpg]

And while i have no idea of the following tracks respective lane lengths,.....they are certainly BIG.

An oval in the US

[Image: 20.jpg]

Road course.........also US based

[Image: 2013-09-29-20-02-54.jpg]
[+] 2 members Like chrisguyw's post

Just found this old pic in my files...........This is a picture of the Oakland Speedway, built in the early/mid 60's, (long since closed), and it is considered to be the largest permanent track ever built, with a 90ft. main straight (far top right of the pic.), leading into a monster bank. A few 50/60 ft straights as well............clearly a "good motor" track  Bigsmile

Cheers
Chris Walker

[Image: post-5-0-27963300-1443125114.jpg]
[+] 1 member Likes chrisguyw's post

The original Slingshot track has resurfaced in Helen, Georgia which is a seriously wappy town. Originally a logging town in decline it reinvented itself as a replica of a place in the Bavarian Alps complete with an October beer festival and is largely dependent on tourism.

There was already an enormous model train layout in the town which I visited some years ago and the owner opened a slot car place called Alpine Speedway in 2020 which contains the Slingshot track.  It has been split into two separate parts and slightly altered. The larger of the two is now 480ft in length! I really must pay a return visit if transatlantic travel is ever allowed again.
[+] 2 members Like CMOTD's post

(26th-Sep-20, 03:51 PM)chrisguyw Wrote:  This is not the Largest, but, may be the newest...............a 6 lane 135Ft Policar track currently being finished up in Toronto.

[Image: IMG-5069.jpg]

In the same venue, there will also be a 6 lane 150Ft wood track.......also in progress !!

[Image: IMG-5063.jpg]

And while i have no idea of the following tracks respective lane lengths,.....they are certainly BIG.

An oval in the US

[Image: 20.jpg]

Road course.........also US based

[Image: 2013-09-29-20-02-54.jpg]
The road course pictured above is not in the USA but in Melbourne,Australia.It is actually two tracks joined together to show the versatility of the MrTrax system.No race meeting was ever held on this track but a test session was held to see if it was possible to race on it.Both tracks were sold not long after and replaced with new tracks when the centre moved from Dandenong to Hallam and renamed MrSlotcar

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by woodcote
1st-May-21, 07:33 AM
Last Post by ThatOtherGuy
21st-Apr-21, 06:45 AM
Last Post by wudda
11th-Apr-21, 08:07 PM
Last Post by rallyhub
11th-Apr-21, 11:14 AM
Last Post by KensRedZed
7th-Mar-21, 12:35 PM