Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Worldwide slot car chat on Zoom!

You're Invited!

Topic: World Wide Slot Car Chat #50 
Time: Mar 31, 2021 01:00 PM Central Time (US and Canada) 

Join Zoom Meeting 
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/81234402029?pw...ZEa2hzUT09 

Meeting ID: 812 3440 2029 
Passcode: 813182

Time Zone Calculator for 1pm CST: 
https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/c...240&p6=103

I hope you are able to join us!
[+] 1 member Likes MrFlippant's post

I will be going through the process of hydro paintwork and will dip a body shell to show the process.
Alan
[+] 3 members Like Nonfractal's post

WorldWide Slot Chat #50 
The lacquered result of yesterday's  live hydro dip paintwork 
Film : "Tiny Dollar" by dipthis.co.uk.
[+] 1 member Likes Nonfractal's post

Very good presentation Alan. 

The general consensus of the viewers seemed to be that despite the scary name, it is a very 'doable' technique (in your hands anyway!)

I have a BMW Z4 white kit that needs decorating, I think I am going to give this a try.

I love puttering with gears
[+] 1 member Likes BARacer's post

(1st-Apr-21, 08:09 AM)Nonfractal Wrote:  WorldWide Slot Chat #50 
The lacquered result of yesterday's  live hydro dip paintwork 
Film : "Tiny Dollar" by dipthis.co.uk.

Thank you for the presentation, that was awesome! will definitely be giving that a try in the future.
[+] 1 member Likes Krpepe's post

Hey krpepe, do you want to show us your track cleaning vehicle in a bit more detail?

[+] 1 member Likes BARacer's post

(1st-Apr-21, 06:55 PM)BARacer Wrote:  Hey krpepe, do you want to show us your track cleaning vehicle in a bit more detail?

I am planning on posting it next week. It is almost done. Will post as soon as I finish it! Thank you for inquiring!

Kevin

[+] 3 members Like MrFlippant's post

"If it makes you happy..."

Newcomer Kevin started the Chat off with a tour of his little track, it was massive! So big infact that if your car comes off on the far side, he has a long electric pole that jump starts it again. Failing that, he sends round some sort of steam roller that "cleans up" anything in it's path and allows the race to continue. 

We were then treated to a live demonstration of Hydro-dipping by Nonfractal. He hadn't prepared one earlier, he did it right in front of us in his back garden. And it only involved one very dangerous chemical spray. And there it was, a fully decorated body in the time it takes to make a massive cup of tea! 

Once bad light stopped play, Dennis chipped in with other-world colour saturated photos of a new neighbourhood track. It was other-world weather in deep mid-Winter California, so shorts and tee shirt. Which led to an introduction to another newcomer to the Chat, Ed.

Ed was one of those regular guys who prefers racing slot cars to building them. He also has one of those sun drenched outdoor tracks, where his only problem is spiders shorting the tracks. But is he happy? Well he must be, because he researched this and has written six papers on the topic, the most recent being titled "Slot Car Racing & Happiness". Yes, there is a strong link between the two; the moments when you are racing and you enter 'the zone'.  So there you have it, a Professor of Slot Cars. 

And we know he is a professor because he was reading the biggest book ever written about the history of slot cars and racing. With it open on his lap, he looked like The Angel of the North, it was THAT big. But even then, it couldn't hold all the slot car information in the world, so it contains lots of links to other information sources. One link that probably wouldn't have worked was one to the slotcarwiki.org site set up my Mr F. We were all encouraged to go look and contribute by Greg, prompted by a point raised by Alan regarding the need for a Who's Who of current slot car movers and shakers. 

As a follow on to Alan's earlier hydro-dipping demonstration, Gary Skipp showed a very tidy body decoration achieved by the use of sharpies/felt tip pens! And the suggestion was made that if you are going to race the car then, 1) it will be travelling so fast (in the hands of Gary anyway) you won't get a chance to look for pen strokes, and 2) it WILL be driven fast because you won't be too worried about preserving your sprayed/decaled/clearcoated masterpiece for your grandchildren.

And to finish off, a question on whether anyone repairs SCP controllers (if they do, please let me know!) led to a frank and honest discussion about the ergonomic design and the temperature of controllers has developed over our lifetime, and whether your thumb, index finger or middle finger is best to operate a controller. And this is where, for once, science and experience led to exactly the same conclusion...you will just have to watch the Chat to find out the answer. It might even make you a happier slot racer.

[+] 3 members Like BARacer's post

(1st-Apr-21, 06:55 PM)BARacer Wrote:  Hey krpepe, do you want to show us your track cleaning vehicle in a bit more detail?

The track cleaner has been added in scratch builds.
[+] 1 member Likes Krpepe's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by woodcote
18th-Nov-19, 09:31 AM