Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Novels and crap/filler/backstory
Thumbs Down 

When you get into a great novel just to come across an entire chapter or multiple pages of crap.. aka fillers, aka backstories.

Most of these fillers and backstories are not warranted and simply make the novel appear thicker and longer than it actually is. Give me the novel without all this crap. 

Am reading one now, well trying to, however this crap/filler/backstory is ruining the flow of the novel, grrr Angry

I thought it was called character development! Cool
[+] 1 member Likes Gordon Steadman's post

WIthout debating my choices Bigsmile   2 of my favourite authors are David Baldacci and John Sandford. Both in same genre.

Baldacci exactly as you say - Sandford - smooth, quick flowing, draws you into story so it is difficult to put down....

But.      I still read baldacci Bigsmile Bigsmile Bigsmile

(19th-Apr-20, 06:18 AM)Johnno Wrote:  When you get into a great novel just to come across an entire chapter or multiple pages of crap.. aka fillers, aka backstories.

Most of these fillers and backstories are not warranted and simply make the novel appear thicker and longer than it actually is. Give me the novel without all this crap. 

Am reading one now, well trying to, however this crap/filler/backstory is ruining the flow of the novel, grrr Angry

Johnno Health Warning
Do not, I repeat, do not pick up anything by Tolkein Talking Talking Talking Talking Talking
[+] 1 member Likes slotloco's post

What’s the book Johnno? I’m intrigued...

(19th-Apr-20, 08:39 PM)slotloco Wrote:  
(19th-Apr-20, 06:18 AM)Johnno Wrote:  When you get into a great novel just to come across an entire chapter or multiple pages of crap.. aka fillers, aka backstories.

Johnno Health Warning
Do not, I repeat, do not pick up anything by Tolkein Talking Talking Talking Talking Talking

LOL, and there am I thinking, how on earth do you make a Lord of the Rings movie and not include Tom Bombadil?

My DIY projects and failures at  https://dazee-projects.blogspot.com/ 
[+] 1 member Likes dazee's post

I only came across that once in a German novel where about every 15 pages statements like "...and he was the best known musician at the time selling millions of records" verbatim ... was there no editor on this?!

I like a good red herring but it can't be too obvious that it is a red herring...

(20th-Apr-20, 12:35 AM)dazee Wrote:  
(19th-Apr-20, 08:39 PM)slotloco Wrote:  

Johnno Health Warning

LOL, and there am I thinking, how on earth do you make a Lord of the Rings movie and not include Tom Bombadil?
There are too many things left out and far too much time given to shoot 'em ups. If I wanted to play war games I'd get an X box or whatever they are. If I am moved to watch LOTR, I skip the fights along with almost any part that has Frodo in it. Quite the most annoying character in the films and totally unlike my vision of him. Sam comes much closer. AND....they left out the Scouring of the Shire which is one of the most important bits. I've heard all the reasons given and they insult the intelligence of the audience. If they are right, then most people really are dumb after all Bigsmile

(19th-Apr-20, 09:47 PM)woodcote Wrote:  What’s the book Johnno? I’m intrigued...

The book is: Lost by James Patterson and James O. Born (Tom Moon #1)

I have liked all the previous James Patterson novels, this one was just so hard to keep reading because of the crap. 

Perhaps it might have been more to do with the other author, James O. Born, whom I have never heard of before, perhaps he had more of a say in the writing and editing.

(19th-Apr-20, 01:27 PM)abie321 Wrote:  WIthout debating my choices Bigsmile   2 of my favourite authors are David Baldacci and John Sandford. Both in same genre.

Baldacci exactly as you say - Sandford - smooth, quick flowing, draws you into story so it is difficult to put down....

But.      I still read baldacci Bigsmile Bigsmile Bigsmile

I read and have a lot of David Baldacci, I disagree about the fillers, to me it all ties in with the story.
Admittedly, I haven't read many of his one off novels, most of what I have are sets.
Not tried any John Sandforth yet.