Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Spot the famous name

Not really 'self isolating' but stuck at home because there is nowhere to go. G.O.L.D meeting cancelled because Tel's kids might have the lurgy, cinema closed so no movie this week, village pub shut so can't go out to lunch and peeing it down again so can't get on the allotment. Tappingfoot

Took the opportunity to scan a few more magazines for the SlotRacer library and was working my way through the July 1979 issue of Auto Modeller when I came across this race report:

Can you spot the famous contestant?

The only name that jumps our at me is Martin O'Reilly, one of my sparring partners from the 90's, travelled to a few Opens with him, wonder what he's doing now?

Bernie, racing since 1969 Wavegreen

Yes, he is well known but not the one we are looking for. Think outside the slot racing box.

Johnny Herbert?

Spot on! Quite a proficient slot racer in his younger days, as were Gordon Murray and Ross Brawn.
[+] 1 member Likes CMOTD's post

Well you learn something new every day.

I used to regularly pick Johnny Herbert in a fantasy f1 competition at work. Think it was when he was at lotus or benetton (?) he often qualified down the grid, but gained loads of places during the race, and you used to get bonus fantasy points for that!

Also racing was an important Slot Car Celebrity - Roger Gillam...
First time I have seen/heard his name outwith the collector guide world.

Leo

Forum Precepts:  Don't hijack or divert topics - create a new one.   Don't feed the Troll.    http://www.scuderiaturini.com

Well Martin never once boasted to me that he'd beaten Johnny Herbert, unlike him Rofl

Bernie, racing since 1969 Wavegreen

(18th-Mar-20, 05:33 PM)Scuderia_Turini Wrote:  Also racing was an important Slot Car Celebrity - Roger Gillam...
First time I have seen/heard his name outwith the collector guide world.

Leo

The race was run by the London Scalextric Club at Wood Green and Roger was a member as were several other luminaries of the slot world including well known racer Jamie Pleasance. The club was largely responsible for the growth of interest in old Scalextric and started a collectors section in 1979 which eventually morphed into the National Scalextric Collectors Club (NSCC).  The London club is still going strong and their history page is worth a look. LINK 
[+] 2 members Like CMOTD's post