Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Australian GP (Spoiler alert!)

Australian GP has been cancelled - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/51849163

Leo

Forum Precepts:  Don't hijack or divert topics - create a new one.   Don't feed the Troll.    http://www.scuderiaturini.com

I was really looking forward to it. Tappingfoot

Blame Gaia....she'll find a way of getting rid of us eventually!

Formula E season put on hold as well..#
Hockenheimring has cancelled 3 events as well..

Luckily thanks to the FreeSport channel on FreeSAT I can get some motor racing  still...

It has probably been cancelled because they ran out of bog rolls!

Atlanta and Miami Homestead NASCAR going ahead behind closed doors so at least I can watch those on the telly.
[+] 1 member Likes CMOTD's post

Seeing how few go to NASCAR races lately that might not change much..,.

You could say the same about quite a few F1 races. In fact many forms of motorsport are suffering from declining attendances with the notable exceptions of the BTCC and historic events like Goodwood. Perhaps the paying spectators are trying to make a point!

Bahrain and Vietnam also cancelled so no GPs till May in Europe and even that is looking a bit unlikely.
[+] 1 member Likes CMOTD's post

True....
When I found out that there is so much money flying around that most series don#t even need ticket sales (those are primarily for the track operators) I was a bit surprised but also realized this might be why racing in many series is just not that interesting...

(13th-Mar-20, 02:26 PM)CMOTD Wrote:  You could say the same about quite a few F1 races. In fact many forms of motorsport are suffering from declining attendances with the notable exceptions of the BTCC and historic events like Goodwood. Perhaps the paying spectators are trying to make a point!

Bahrain and Vietnam also cancelled so no GPs till May in Europe and even that is looking a bit unlikely.

F1 attendances actually increased last year. Wrench 

The British GP was top of the figures as usual. Rofl

True, figures were slightly up by 1.75% last year overall, with some individual races up and some down. Just 5 circuits attracted over 100,000 spectators on race day and Bahrain could only muster 35,000. The official numbers are largely constructed with smoke and mirrors though. Mostly they go on complete weekend attendance which means that an awful lot of spectators are counted two or three times.

The thing you can't find out is how many spectators actually bought their own ticket, corporate sponsorship purchases are a very significant proportion of sales as with other series. The last time I attended the British GP was courtesy of Renault (I won a competition) and two complete grandstands at Luffield were reserved for the company's guests. I would hazard a guess that very few of those people would have been there if they had to pay for their own ticket. I certainly wouldn't.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post