Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Braking Options explained

(28th-Feb-20, 08:07 PM)Slalom4me Wrote:   Placing a resistor in the circuit connected to the windings of the armature creates a "Load".  Energy from the electrical power produced by the `generator' (ie: motor driven by mechanical power) performs work in overcoming the load imposed by the resistor, 

This sentence seems to imply that the resistor creates the load that applies the brakes, but as Alan has pointed out, introducing an adjustable resistor reduces braking; and, the higher the resistor value the less brakes we get. Additionally, brake adjusters using diodes do not change "the load" yet they work too.
With no resistor (or diodes), we get full brakes by dumping all the generator voltage from the positive side of the motor to ground. 
With the adjustable resistor (or the diodes) we don't dump all the voltage, that reduces the braking.

Joel

SCP2 Advanced braking , continued...

1. Sweep braking with a variable start brake point. 
Read above OP for background on this concept. 
I had the opportunity to talk with Maurizio Ferrari during the recent DiSCA le mans 24h oxigen event. 
The SCP3 will eventually have that functionally via the APP. 
However, app development is a slow process so no expectations of any release date

It's clear that , for equipment setup, Slot.IT are moving away from the bootloader/usb/WiFi dongle axis and toward a Bluetooth/App future. 
The consequences of this direction are that older chips and older dongles will become unavailable and eventually cease to be supported with firmware updates.
SCP2 is not configurable from an app so maybe the long term future of firmware for the SCP2 is also questionable.

2. Diode braking rotary switch on the scp2
Again, info after discussion with maurizio. 
The design should work (and does work) on many tracks, however...
The scp2 takes the voltage for its circuitary and fet drivers from the power line and the earth line.
By introducing diodes inline on red (earth) pin, I have reduced the voltage available to the controller for its circuitary.
The SCP should , repeat "should" , work down to 9v but clearly, at some track where the voltage is low and diodes  take the available voltage lower, unforseen behaviour of the scp can be expected.

AlanW
[+] 1 member Likes Nonfractal's post

As a wrap up on this sub thread.
The diodes were removed from the circuit last month and 0.5 ohm ceramic resistors used instead. 

I tested the the brake choke at Molesey slot car club and found that :
A) the circuit did not upset the SCP. 
B) I had far better control of the braking.

AlanW 

[+] 1 member Likes Nonfractal's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by BARacer
24th-Jul-22, 11:34 AM
Last Post by Savage GT
13th-Jun-21, 07:46 AM
Last Post by dvd3500
21st-Feb-21, 11:42 AM