Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Inline or anglewinder?

Hi DVD,a bit of a sketch ,it might help  Wrench

Steve

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

[+] 1 member Likes Fluff's post

SlotingPlus make the kind of axle tube described.

Pendle sell them
https://www.pendleslotracing.co.uk/sloti...1-6mm.html

Alan

A couple of thoughts on all the above.

People keep talking RPM as a indicator of motor power. Even within a motor can type, the differing relationships between brands/models of motor mean that two motors of the same RPM will perform differently [case in point - Scalex "18k" black stripe - they actually rev 21 - 24krpm]. But contrast that to a 20K Scaleauto silver can S-can which revs to about 22k, but has almost double the torque, or a Slot.it 23K MX16 which has about 70% more torque and you have different beasts.
Compare the Scalextric S-can to a 21k boxer with 3 times the torque of the Scaley and you are in a different dimension altogether.
So comments about comparing "power" via rpm are misleading, particularly if we gear appropriately for the torque to rpm relationships of different motor types.
So the point where a motor becomes too powerful for a configuration, should really be about the power/wattage for that configuration, not the rpm.

Mr Modifier - on your sport track, would not the advantage of the angle-winder be partly tied to the fact that this motor orientation, combined with the longer can/magnet, wider magnetic field, means that you have magnets directly over the track rails while cornering as well as on the straights, providing up to 30 grams down-force typically.
Combine that with more power relative to RPM and yes, they will have an advantage, but it is not solely due to a superior configuration per se, it is more related to the above.
Had you put a short can FC130 into the same angle-winder, I imagine that at least some of that advantage would disappear.
Had you been racing the exact same cars on wood, the relative performances might be quite different.

I know in the case of my club on wood, we rip out most angle winders from GT and Group 5 cars, and through in a sidewinder.
A great comparison is in our GT3 class racing, the sidewinder (lower powered) version of a NSR, will generally outperform the higher powered angle-winder boxer version, as the sidewinders are more tractable out of turns, and more nimble through them - regardless of how we weight (nor not) either version.
That indicates to me that the advantage you get is not solely related to the actual configuration - other factors are coming into play.
[+] 2 members Like slotloco's post