Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

MR Slotcar Jaguar XJ220C

Early / mid eighties formula cars had conventional right hand threads on both side. Dunno about later, obviously left. / right hand makes sense

Interesting. I'm watching the recording of this year's Bathurst 1000. 

It seems consistent across all teams, as fas as I could see, that they don't use colour coding on the single centre spinners. However, tyre strategy and information varied wildly. Red Bull had EVERYTHING marked up on the tyre tread, compound, pressure, position on the car and tyre rotation, reinforced by a a large arrow head triangle to leave direction of rotation in no doubt.

Such info. varied down to nil across the other teams!

'Well I like them...ALL of them!!!
[Image: CCCAq1X.jpg]
[Image: yMNQDlq.jpg]
[Image: wGZiddt.jpg]
[+] 7 members Like fotodoug2's post

(21st-Dec-21, 11:52 PM)Kevan Wrote:  
(21st-Dec-21, 06:58 PM)Savage GT Wrote:  Nice write up Brian, thanks  Thumbup

The theory is, a pod mounted with one central front and one rear fixing gives better pod rock/movement. If it translates into improved lap times I don't know, but I like the logic behind it :)

Pods don't rock, they can't because there's a wheel either side on the track.

Hi guys, you're kind of as right/wrong as you want to be here.

I've been racing MR's for a while now and rocking as opposed to floating is their USP really. Admittedly it's the rest of the car rocking on the pod not the other way round.

If you actually inspect the car again you will see the way the pod and chassis interface is different to any other 4 or 6 point pod from the major manufacturers. Its-a-rockin not floating.
[+] 3 members Like marctownsend's post

Having set the review car up for club racing, I have some observations:

The room at gearing is tight, from the factory the gear butts directly to the bushing. I wanted two 0.10mm washers to fix that but it made the mesh too tight, I had to settle for one !
The adjustable front axle could do with more upwards adjustment, at full height with NSR 0.2mm racing braids I have had to resort to under 18mm diameter front tyres to sit the guide at full depth.

But in race trim, early indications are it is a real nice performer :)
[+] 4 members Like Savage GT's post

Report from the club race.
The jag is decent, but not quite up there with the best.
Nothing beats a well setup and upgraded Scaleuto Radical at our club (yes several have tried NSR Moslers and they have all fallen by the by).
I had this setup like my radicals, with a flat 6 22.5k motor, used the stock guide as its a nice wood one, stock gearing as it was around how I run the Radicals.
I removed the stock interior for a lightweight one and added some chassis weight.

I gave it to our fasted driver, who can achieve mid 8's with a good car (most of the ret of us are low to mid 9s territory).
He could get it down to 9.4, a respectable enough time, but as Brian mentioned, it can be tail happy when pushed.
Some of that is down to fresh rubber (a few race evenings and intervening oiling's are usually required to bring tyres up to speed at our track).
The rear overhang won't be helping, but to be honest the body is pretty svelte without the interior, so I don't think that's the whole issue.
It is rather shorter guide to rear axle compared to the Radicals, which I feel is its major disadvantage, but if it approached the Radical wheelbase it would be way off scale.

So my search for a Radical beater at club level continues ...
[+] 2 members Like Savage GT's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Kevan
26th-Jul-22, 09:19 AM
Last Post by anddelanyno20
18th-Feb-22, 03:47 PM