Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Transportation

Competition cars are generally taken to events by some means of transportation. Even at grass roots level the norm is to not drive a competing rally or race car to and from events.

This thread is to show off your slot-car transporters and trailers.

I just showed this Marlboro transporter in another thread and when viewing the photographs afterwards, I realised that I had not fitted the had rails to the upper deck...

I bought the resin cab (FIAT 643) and fabricated the cargo assembly. Getting everything square shaped and aligned was a challenge but I got a decent outcome. The tailgate lowers to allow loading the lower deck but I decided not to attempt the mechanism to raise it to the upper deck.
The Lancia team transporter was a conversion of an existing FIAT transporter with the "parts bin" added on.
A key aspect of my build was to get chequerplate for the load area and the only place that seems to sell such plasticard is Green Stuff World in Spain. GSW Site

Leo

Forum Precepts:  Don't hijack or divert topics - create a new one.   Don't feed the Troll.    http://www.scuderiaturini.com
[+] 5 members Like Scuderia_Turini's post

Nice work Leo. Green Stuff World do seem to be the only source for chequered plate but it is usually cheaper to buy from their eBay shop rather than the website. LINK

Was hoping to see some pictures of other peep's transporters by now...

Below is a truck by the Barlux brand of Italy. These are 1:35 scale versions of a FIAT 649 and comes in several body types including a fire-engine. I have one that is branded as "Giodi". 

The size is good for a 1:32 layout as it looks big enough and takes up a bit less space than a full 1:32 version. (anyone care to do the maths on the difference?)

I have seen a couple that have perfect doors but the casting die must have deteriorated rapidly.

Leo

Forum Precepts:  Don't hijack or divert topics - create a new one.   Don't feed the Troll.    http://www.scuderiaturini.com
[+] 2 members Like Scuderia_Turini's post

I haven't got a proper car transporter as such. It didn't seem quite right for a 60s & 70s rally stage layout.

So the closest I've got is this Transit van & trailer combo.

The MkI bullnose Transit was a resin kit from Pendles. It's a driver, but it's really heavy so it takes a good half an hour's warning to accelerate and brake, and the tyres are really narrow, though it actually has decent grip, probably because of all that weight. It's actually one of my favourites to drive, because it takes a bit of skill to even get it round the track, never mind get anything approaching a competitive lap time.

It's also the only vehicle which I won't I won't let anybody else drive, as it was my first resin kit build. So although there is nothing fancy, or particularly skillful in the build, I'd still really hate to see it getting smashed up.

One day, I should probably fit a towbar and make it really challenging by towing the heavy die cast trailer round the track. Rofl

Here's Dave the driver. It's a well known fact that all Transit van divers are called Dave.

Also, just noticed, I forgot to paint the windscreen wipers. Bugger. Tappingfoot
[+] 3 members Like JasonB's post

You could maybe try Bare Metal foil for the wipers. Don't know if it's still available but you used to be able to get it in various finishes including Matt aluminium  - and black.
[+] 1 member Likes Top Down's post

Yo Jason,
Ford transits are a staple part of the motorsport scene - in all eras (since they were around).  Britains did a late 1990s early 2000s version in 1:32.  I modified the one below to resemble the Iveco version.

Molotov Chrome 0.1mm pen for chrome wipers, but should they be black?

Leo

[+] 3 members Like Scuderia_Turini's post

I've seen both black and chrome Leo.

Another one, based upon a Britains Eurocargo truck.

Leo

[+] 2 members Like Scuderia_Turini's post

(9th-Jan-20, 05:17 PM)Scuderia_Turini Wrote:  I bought the resin cab (FIAT 643) and fabricated the cargo assembly. 
Leo, would love to get a 1:76 version of that cab (for obvious Italian reasons Thumbup ), have you got a link to your original?

Yo Simon,
I got the cabs from Toni Ruvira in Espana via Facebook.  I cannot remember his trading ID, I think it is Resinas Musketeers but his personal ID is what I used.  

1:76 seems unlikely though as his pattern will be 1:32 or 1:35.   The Lancia Esadelta (and Esagamma) cab is very similar apart from the grille-work and the Esadelta is available (Ebay) in 1:66 scale (metal diecast) by the company Penny.  I could lend you a truck to get a mould from.

Will message you examples.

Leo