Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

The joys of gardening

We have discussed mowing grass before but my subject for this morning is hedge trimming!

We have a four acre plot and along one boundary is a public right of way. My darling wife decided that a screen would be a good idea so along the edge of the cultivated bit is a long and now quite tall (2.5 metre) laurel. Quick growing see Tappingfoot 

We try and use manual methods where possible to do our bit but ye gods, using cutters and trimmers is hard on 72 year old shoulders. I did about 20 metres this morning and I'm now collapsed over the Mac and having coffee and chocolate to revive me.

I still think Ronnie is rotten to waive the 'her outside' - 'me inside' rule. Caught me out as clearly, once the inside is done.........

I can definitely sympathise Gordon.

Our hedges had been neglected for a decade when we moved here. All the hawthorn, and blackthorn bushes were 5m tall trees. I get a bit chopped back each winter, but it's hard work.

We've got some laurel too, and it's an absolute thug. Fortunately ours is kind of hidden away, so it only needs cutting back every now and again. I wouldn't fancy a whole hedge full of the stuff.

The 'best' bit is getting rid of the stuff afterwards!  Tappingfoot

(23rd-Aug-19, 10:43 AM)Top Down Wrote:  The 'best' bit is getting rid of the stuff afterwards!  Tappingfoot

Yes indeed. At one time we could have just swept it all up and bunged it on the bonfire but that is no longer allowed. It all has to be bagged up and taken to the dump. This is a major trim and I'll be ferrying it for weeks!

Funny enough I've just bought a hedge trimmer that will reach 3m ,had to get it to trim all my bloody neighbors trees and bushes , he'll be ferrying that lot to the tip for weeks once it's all chucked over the fence

Steve

Ye gods!

Our neighbour, who is a retired farmer, very kindly cut the big field for us a while ago (he kept his oldest tractor as it's not worth much now)

Muggins here had the idea of saving all the hay for the rabbits. Out in the field at 6am this morning raking it all up. Took about three hours. Ronnie and I just collected it all and spread it in the nearer garden to finally dry out.

Absolutely ringing wet. As someone who claims not to sweat, there is this strange liquid oozing from my pores. I do not appreciate gardening! Good thing I like rabbits.

Did he get stripes ???

Steve

(26th-Jun-20, 12:19 PM)Fluff Wrote:  Did he get stripes ???

Steve

Sure did.

Sadly, they weren't straight Tease

We had loaded all the hay into plastic bags but if we left it it would rot down and turn into silage. We now have an indoor haystack!! Good thing neither of us smoke. That area of the barn keeps pretty cool so one hopes......

This is going to be my job in August. 

Scything our meadow, then collecting up the grass. Absolutely knackering work.

You must have worked pretty hard to collect it all in three hours.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post