SlotRacer Forum
Magnets - Printable Version

+- SlotRacer Forum (https://slotracer.online/community)
+-- Forum: Slot Cars (https://slotracer.online/community/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: 1:32 Scale (https://slotracer.online/community/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: Magnets (/showthread.php?tid=3615)

Pages: 1 2 3

Magnets - Charlie - 17th-Mar-23

Years ago none of the cars I raced at an ECRA club  ( in UK) had magnets (1970) for weight we used plasticine !  Now the cars I have recently bought all have magnets, slot-it, Racer and Scalextric. 
So…. I have got used to the handling of all the cars but just wonder is there an advantage to having them fitted, presumably the grip is greater and therefore easier to drive ?  The club doesn’t mind us using magnets and most of us are novices. I seem to remember I could hang the tail out on my Galaxie without coming to grief, sorry for the rambling,  should I just enjoy racing and forget there are magnets inside   ??

RE: Magnets - CMOTD - 17th-Mar-23

Magnets [attachment=29279] Recommend a read HERE. Scroll down to magnet section.

Charlie - Charlie - 17th-Mar-23

Excellent !   Thanks very much

RE: Magnets - Kevan - 20th-Mar-23

Some say magnets belong on fridge doors, those who race with magnets can get very tetchy when 'gravity' racers start criticising...

Magnet advantages:
tyre grip not so important
car setup not so important
tyre prep not so important

non mag racing:
tyres are the most important part of the car both tyre prep and grip
car setup very important
driving takes a lot more skill

But, each to their own and I've learned not to criticise  Thumbup

RE: Magnets - CMOTD - 20th-Mar-23

(20th-Mar-23, 01:43 PM)Kevan Wrote:  non mag racing:
driving takes a lot more skill

But, each to their own and I've learned not to criticise  Thumbup

As I said, don't open the can of worms!

Non-mag driving does not take a lot more skill, just a different type of skill. Driving at near to the absolute limit of magnetic attraction without launching into the stratosphere is exceedingly skilful with virtually no margin for error. Not the case with driving a non-mag car at the edge of adhesion which will, at least, give some warning of impending doom.

He's talking about slot-it, Racer and Scalextric cars with supplied magnets, I'm referring to the same cars.

Of course if your track has non magnetic braid/tape then magnets would only act as ballast in which case you'd need to go back to old school tuning and setting up.

RE: Magnets - Scuderia_Turini - 20th-Mar-23

Hello Charlie,
Having "magnatraction" certainly adds traction and helps keep the cars in the slot. That leads to greater speed with the need for increased skill level to avoid de-slots. Inevitably the de-slots at greater speed can result in car damage.

As in most sports, events are defined into class-groups where like compete against like and in slot-car racing the categories can include "with magnatraction".  

Leo

Charlie - Charlie - 20th-Mar-23

Ok, put the lid back on now ? I have all the info I need now I think, I will try with and without,    Cheers

RE: Magnets - CMOTD - 20th-Mar-23

Let us know how you get on and which you prefer Charlie. A good way to experiment is to try an SCX car, they have external magnets which can be easily adjusted or removed by a turning a couple of screws. You can increase the magnetic attraction to the point where they will circulate flat out and never deslot, wind them back in so there is much less effect or take them out completely and see the different characteristics of the two types of racing with the same car.