(Senior Member)

Registration Date: 14th-Dec-21
Date of Birth: 29th-Apr-74 (49 years old)
Local Time: 4th-Dec-23 at 07:11 AM
Status: Offline

Tibbs's Forum Info
Registration Date:
Last Visit:
9 hours ago 09:34 PM
Total Posts:
302 (0.42 posts per day | 0.86 percent of total posts)
(Find All Posts)
Total Threads:
19 (0.03 threads per day | 0.5 percent of total threads)
(Find All Threads)
Time Spent Online:
5 Days, 23 Hours, 29 Minutes
Total Likes Received: 370 (0.51 per day | 0.78 percent of total 47319)
(Find All Threads Liked ForFind All Posts Liked For) Total Likes Given: 560 (0.78 per day | 1.18 percent of total 47363)
(Find All Liked ThreadsFind All Liked Posts)
Tibbs's Contact Details

Additional Info About Tibbs
Kiwi living in UK, married to my English Rose father of two boys, family traditional signwriting business.
Always loved tinkering in the garage with my dad from a young age, it's stayed with me into adulthood.

Favourite Slot Car:
Moto GP bikes at the moment
Favourite Track Type:
Favourite Motor Sport:
Favourite Race Track:
Donington Park
Tibbs's Most Liked Post
Post Subject Numbers of Likes
Ryan Stone TQ Memorial Build 9
Thread Subject Forum Name
Ryan Stone TQ Memorial Build Scratch Building
Post Message
Hi Guy's,
this is my first proper scratch build attempt, so I will make loads of mistakes but that's the only way to learn, open to any advice and tips from more experienced builders.

It is a TQ midget with a Suzuki 750cc motor bike engine replica of the car my late friend Ryan Stone (Christchurch NZ) built and use to race.
He sadly lost his battle with Cancer in 2012 at a very young age of 38.
He would've loved racing this round a slot track.

I've brought various bits of copper tube and square tube and I have some welding wire which I've realised I can use.
I got a few brass engine mount brackets from Phil Smith at Gaydon, I brought extra for future builds.
I follow a modellers youTube channel called Clay Kemp and saw a video of him making a brass frame for a TQ very similar to Ryans so I contacted him regarding the plans he drew out and he very kindly emailed a eps file to me so I could scale to what I wanted.
His soldering is a world apart from mine but you gotta start somewhere.
I started off with a £30 soldering iron from Lidl's but it kept burning the tips and I just couldn't get it to work consistently.
A guy called Tom Baker who I found on a Facebook page is an unreal scratch builder and he recommended Hakko 601 Iron, so I invested in one as I'm going to be using it a lot.
It is instantly noticeable the quality difference, I just need to get more consistent which will eventually come.

The main roll cage will be sprayed a ali colour so I'll clean up some of the solder that's a little lumpy.
I cut and ground the guide plate from a piece of flat brass and soldered a bit of round tube for the guide to sit in.
I've already tested the rolling chassis on a track and pleased to say it works a treat, the little motor that's in it I got my son to buy me 3 for Fathers day from Pendles and it's bloody nippy.
The frame work is really enjoyable but has been tricky trying to get bits to sit still while I solder, looking at one pic I've noticed I've not put a bend in one of the back support uprights but I'm leaving it as it will have the body shell over it.
I found a 3d print file of a Suzuki engine and a very kind man called Paul Young who is on a facebook page I follow printed me off some engines and little carbs. They have turned out awesome and will paint up really well.
Here's a few more pics where it's at.