dreinecke
(Member)


Registration Date: 9th-Sep-20
Date of Birth: Not Specified
Local Time: 22nd-May-22 at 05:28 PM
Status:

dreinecke's Forum Info
Registration Date:
9th-Sep-20
Last Visit:
(Hidden)
Total Posts:
72 (0.12 posts per day | 0.28 percent of total posts)
(Find All Posts)
Total Threads:
2 (0 threads per day | 0.07 percent of total threads)
(Find All Threads)
Time Spent Online:
(Hidden)
Total Likes Received: 113 (0.18 per day | 0.35 percent of total 32274)
(Find All Threads Liked ForFind All Posts Liked For) Total Likes Given: 88 (0.14 per day | 0.27 percent of total 32316)
(Find All Liked ThreadsFind All Liked Posts)

Additional Info About dreinecke
Favourite Slot Car:
Any I've built
Favourite Track Type:
Routed MDF
Favourite Motor Sport:
Vintage Trans-Am
Favourite Race Track:
Continental Divide Raceways
Gender:
Male
dreinecke's Most Liked Post
Post Subject Numbers of Likes
RE: Palmer Divide Raceways 8
Thread Subject Forum Name
Palmer Divide Raceways Show us your track
Post Message
FINALLY!  An update for those who care to continue along with my track saga.

I'd purchased braid, the router bit for the gains, and a lovely rolling tool from the fine folks at Slot Car Corner in the USA.  I purchased their Tinned, Pre-taped, 1/4 tape.  It was very well packaged and the tools and bit are outstanding.

And then the garage AC died.  It was determined the motherboard on the outside condenser that talks to the inside unit was bad.  6 weeks later they informed me that they could not get the part and simply sent me an entire new condenser.  So, I pulled the board from that, replaced the bad one, and all is well again.

I peeled up (not that I really needed to after 2 months at 90 degrees) what was left of the tape and decided to re-route two 2' areas that I'd bobbled the router off the gate during the original routing of the track several years ago.  They always looked funny and since the gain bit follows the existing slot, well I knew that would look pretty bad.  I bondo'd those areas and re-routed them straight.  I used my son's handy, cordless trim router and it worked perfectly!

[attachment=16965]

[attachment=16966]

Once done, he helped me route the gains.  It was even more simple than I'd thought it would be.  We swapped vacuum duties back and forth a few times and had it done in about 30 minutes, including a few corners we changed the depth of the gain on due to banking on the curve.

[attachment=16967]

[attachment=16968]

[attachment=16969]

The fetching Mrs. R helped paint them all up in the Red/White/Blue the slot has always been.  While I was keen on painting them, I was a little concerned it was too bright, but fortunately the braid tempers that quite a bit, and the old guys that visit will stop asking what lane they were in during an off!

[attachment=16970]

The braid is ridiculously simple to lay, and the roller I got really works well!  Everything laid down nice and neat.  I did drop the braid at each table joint so the track is truly modular and simple to separate.  For all the joints under the track, I simply used wire nuts for the connections.  I used one of these to wire my stations to, and I am now able to get back to racing when I have time and working on the scenery, which has languished for months.

The track is smooth and the power is constant with no drops.  I always liked copper tape for my indoor tracks (in the basement), but this Florida weather is a deal-breaker.

[attachment=16971]

[attachment=16972]

So, many months later, there you have it!